• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Overheating Resistors on DAC board- "HELP NEEDED"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, new here and needed for a tech advise on overheating resistors on a tube DAC. Here my "Dilema"

I have an California Audio Labs Tempest tube cd player (first edition,single chassis).
The problem is in the tube dac board, on left channel 2 parallel resistors (1.5k 4w each value) instant overheating(really hot) after ON and no output sound. I inverted resistors from left channel to right channel and problem still on left channel and tested out board both channel resistors and all measure 1.5k ohms, but installed the ones for left ch measure 6.750R instead 7.500R
The problen go after unit left for 2 days ON, and next time no sound and found the overheating resistors.
Looking what it is causing that overheating, I change new tubes and most electrolytic capacitors and nothing change. Revised carefully the rest capacitors for posible leak sign.Transformer and Bridge Rectifier measured that are OK.
So that my " DAC dilema"- SOS-HELP-AIDE-HILFE

Thank you in advance for any posible diagnostic.
Iincluded 2 photos of the board

Attachments

• HEAT Resistors jpeg.jpg
    HEAT Resistors jpeg.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC00212.JPG
    DSC00212.JPG
    262.2 KB · Views: 154
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Shotgun replacement of parts will not get you to the root cause of the problem. Most likely there is a failed component somewhere in the audio circuitry as these resistors appear to be cathode resistors or similar in an audio stage.

Have you replaced the tube on the bad channel to determine whether the problem is tube related? (Swapping not recommended) Have you measured and compared any of the voltages between the two channels?

Have you considered finding someone local with good troubleshooting skills and proper tools (scope, meters, etc.) to help you out? (Start here)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.