Overheating Resistors on DAC board- "HELP NEEDED" - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2012, 03:03 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Overheating Resistors on DAC board- "HELP NEEDED"

Hello, new here and needed for a tech advise on overheating resistors on a tube DAC. Here my "Dilema"

I have an California Audio Labs Tempest tube cd player (first edition,single chassis).
The problem is in the tube dac board, on left channel 2 parallel resistors (1.5k 4w each value) instant overheating(really hot) after ON and no output sound. I inverted resistors from left channel to right channel and problem still on left channel and tested out board both channel resistors and all measure 1.5k ohms, but installed the ones for left ch measure 6.750R instead 7.500R
The problen go after unit left for 2 days ON, and next time no sound and found the overheating resistors.
Looking what it is causing that overheating, I change new tubes and most electrolytic capacitors and nothing change. Revised carefully the rest capacitors for posible leak sign.Transformer and Bridge Rectifier measured that are OK.
So that my " DAC dilema"- SOS-HELP-AIDE-HILFE

Thank you in advance for any posible diagnostic.
Iincluded 2 photos of the board

Attached Images
File Type: jpg HEAT Resistors jpeg.jpg (332.5 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00212.JPG (262.2 KB, 77 views)
Old 5th February 2012, 03:42 PM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Possibly a short circuit somewhere? Do you have a schematic?
Old 5th February 2012, 10:12 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

No I don't have schematics for this unit. You think that the Bridge Rectifier could cause that ? I must replace it, just in case.
Old 5th February 2012, 10:24 PM   #4
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Shotgun replacement of parts will not get you to the root cause of the problem. Most likely there is a failed component somewhere in the audio circuitry as these resistors appear to be cathode resistors or similar in an audio stage.

Have you replaced the tube on the bad channel to determine whether the problem is tube related? (Swapping not recommended) Have you measured and compared any of the voltages between the two channels?

Have you considered finding someone local with good troubleshooting skills and proper tools (scope, meters, etc.) to help you out? (Start here)
Old 5th February 2012, 11:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I replaced all tubes on both channels, about meassure the unit I just have basic knowlege and no the right meters tools, so I will take your advise and look a local tech to messured it properly.

Apreciated your time and advise, I will let you know when problem found.

Hide this!Advertise here!