SOS-HELP-AIDE-HILFE on " DAC dilema" - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2012, 02:51 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question " tube DAC dilema"-overheat resistors

oooooClick the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

SOS-HELP-AIDE-HILFE on " DAC dilema"

Hello, new here and a tech advise needed for dilema on a tube DAC on my learning table.
I'm not technician, but I really enjoy play as tech on the basics, learning first, then to the table.
I have an California Audio Labs Tempest tube cd player (first edition,single chassis).
The problem is in the tube dac board, on left channel 2 parallel resistors # R114 & R115(1.5k 4w each value) instant overheating(really hot) after ON and no output sound. I inverted resistors from left channel to right channel and problem still on left channel and tested out board both channel resistors and all measure 1.5k ohms, but installed the ones for left ch measure 6.750R instead 7.500R
The problen go after unit left for 2 days ON, and next time no sound and found the overheating resistors.
Looking what it is causing that overheating, I change new tubes and most electrolytic capacitors and nothing change. Revised carefully the rest capacitors for posible leak sign.Transformer and Bridge Rectifier measured that are OK.
So that my " DAC dilema"- SOS-HELP-AIDE-HILFE

Thank you in advance for any posible diagnostic.
Iincluded 2 photos of the board.

Last edited by kkstereo; 5th February 2012 at 03:24 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!