The Torpedo Parafeed Headphone Amplifier - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2012, 04:17 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default The Torpedo Parafeed Headphone Amplifier

Doug (Dsavitsk) of ECP Audio and Tom (TomB) of Beezar put in quite a few hours over the past few years to bring us the Torpedo headphone amplifier. The Torpedo is a parafeed headphone amplifier on a PCB... a very long PCB, and runs on 7-pin 6J6 tubes which typically run only a couple of dollars a pop. The total build cost is very minimal, at about $300 case included if one sticks to the BoM.

This is the short kit being sold at Beezar.com
Click the image to open in full size.

I made a few slight changes, but my build is mostly stock. Some changes were Kiwame / Koa resistors, a gold plated Neutrik jack, EAR feet, standard RCAs, ClarityCap ESAs for parafeed duty, a little make-shift stand to get the tubes up and out of the chassis and a fancy powdercoat job.

It was a fun little project and sounds great! There are plenty more details about the build here if you want to dive in.
Old 3rd February 2012, 04:20 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I like it! very old school looking. Cool name also.
Old 4th February 2012, 01:34 AM   #3
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

Love it!
Old 4th February 2012, 01:35 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9s View Post
Doug (Dsavitsk) of ECP Audio and Tom (TomB) of Beezar put in quite a few hours over the past few years to bring us the Torpedo headphone amplifier. The Torpedo is a parafeed headphone amplifier on a PCB... a very long PCB, and runs on 7-pin 6J6 tubes which typically run only a couple of dollars a pop. The total build cost is very minimal, at about $300 case included if one sticks to the BoM.

This is the short kit being sold at Beezar.com

I made a few slight changes, but my build is mostly stock. Some changes were Kiwame / Koa resistors, a gold plated Neutrik jack, EAR feet, standard RCAs, ClarityCap ESAs for parafeed duty, a little make-shift stand to get the tubes up and out of the chassis and a fancy powdercoat job.

It was a fun little project and sounds great! There are plenty more details about the build here if you want to dive in.
Smooth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 5th February 2012, 02:28 AM   #5
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Doug (Dsavitsk) of ECP Audio
I see he has gone commercial ........ oops his schematics are starting to miss details ().... I see competitive prices there too (). Tsk tsk.
Old 29th May 2012, 06:48 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

How does it sound?
Old 29th May 2012, 08:44 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Overall very good, leaning toward the warm side. I'd say it's the best sounding HP amp I've heard in its price range if my audio memory serves me correctly. I found the sound signature to be notably more agreeable than the Mini-Max, which sounds neutral but is less engaging. There has been talk of a newer version (of the Torpedo) using a different power transformer to eliminate the last little bit of magnetic coupling, but in my opinion that was a non-issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiel View Post
I see he has gone commercial ........
Haha, yes he did. The L-2 headphone amp looks quite impressive and is filled with nice quality parts: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content...hone-amplifier

Last edited by HiGHFLYiN9s; 29th May 2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 30th May 2012, 12:46 PM   #8
6J6 is offline 6J6  Australia
diyAudio Member

Nice work, and it uses my favourite valve too!

Dislike the silicon in the signal path though, just personal preference.

And dig that case... Wow it's enormous!
Old 27th October 2012, 04:08 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I just got one of these, and it sounds great. I had a PS Audio CGHA, and this sounds quite a bit better, no question. I upgraded the caps to clarity caps, and that does help.

A great unit, especially at it's price point.

Hide this!Advertise here!