• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The Torpedo Parafeed Headphone Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Doug (Dsavitsk) of ECP Audio and Tom (TomB) of Beezar put in quite a few hours over the past few years to bring us the Torpedo headphone amplifier. The Torpedo is a parafeed headphone amplifier on a PCB... a very long PCB, and runs on 7-pin 6J6 tubes which typically run only a couple of dollars a pop. The total build cost is very minimal, at about $300 case included if one sticks to the BoM.

This is the short kit being sold at Beezar.com
TorpShortKit-1-800x600.jpg

I made a few slight changes, but my build is mostly stock. Some changes were Kiwame / Koa resistors, a gold plated Neutrik jack, EAR feet, standard RCAs, ClarityCap ESAs for parafeed duty, a little make-shift stand to get the tubes up and out of the chassis and a fancy powdercoat job.

Fully-Populated.jpg

Torpedo-Complete-Front.jpg

It was a fun little project and sounds great! There are plenty more details about the build here if you want to dive in.

Doug (Dsavitsk) of ECP Audio and Tom (TomB) of Beezar put in quite a few hours over the past few years to bring us the Torpedo headphone amplifier. The Torpedo is a parafeed headphone amplifier on a PCB... a very long PCB, and runs on 7-pin 6J6 tubes which typically run only a couple of dollars a pop. The total build cost is very minimal, at about $300 case included if one sticks to the BoM.

This is the short kit being sold at Beezar.com
TorpShortKit-1-800x600.jpg

I made a few slight changes, but my build is mostly stock. Some changes were Kiwame / Koa resistors, a gold plated Neutrik jack, EAR feet, standard RCAs, ClarityCap ESAs for parafeed duty, a little make-shift stand to get the tubes up and out of the chassis and a fancy powdercoat job.

Fully-Populated.jpg

Torpedo-Complete-Front.jpg

It was a fun little project and sounds great! There are plenty more details about the build here if you want to dive in.

Smooth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Overall very good, leaning toward the warm side. I'd say it's the best sounding HP amp I've heard in its price range if my audio memory serves me correctly. I found the sound signature to be notably more agreeable than the Mini-Max, which sounds neutral but is less engaging. There has been talk of a newer version (of the Torpedo) using a different power transformer to eliminate the last little bit of magnetic coupling, but in my opinion that was a non-issue.

I see he has gone commercial ........
Haha, yes he did. The L-2 headphone amp looks quite impressive and is filled with nice quality parts: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/ecp-audio-l-2-headphone-amplifier

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.