More power! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2012, 01:03 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default More power!

For anyone who feels their current system is lacking in the power department I present this Audio Amplifiers

10KW of power and claims to be unused and hey its cheaper than an Ongaku or Wavac.
Old 2nd February 2012, 01:29 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I see you found Surplus Sales of Nebraska. Cool place and wouldn't you like to wander around in their wearhouse!
Old 2nd February 2012, 02:08 PM   #3
stoc005 is offline stoc005  United States
diyAudio Member

I used to frequency sweep test sonar transducers using a multi-kilowatt audio amp like that one.
Old 2nd February 2012, 04:56 PM   #4
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Just what I need for a subwoofer amp.. I did note that the amount of space it requires is more than that occupied by a fairly large walk in closet, and it weighs over a ton too, so I suppose not..

10kW solid state gradient amplifiers that fit in less than 12U for rack mounting are sometimes available and would be well suited to anything this could be used for.

I suspect the best place for this item would be a museum somewhere.

I've always thought Surplus Sales of Nebraska was a bit overpriced (I live in the land of the MIT Flea) but has much cool stuff.
Old 2nd February 2012, 05:20 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Some of their prices are way out there and some are pretty good. I wonder how they sell those odd military items that can only be used for one specific thing. Like these aircraft fans Fans & Blowers: 400 Hz Aircraft Blowers

Sure that Axivane Fan is listed for a fraction of what it cost uncle sam but who is going to buy it? Don't even look at their transformer prices.

Their tube price lists used to have 7027s listed really cheap, like way under what anyone else sold them for. Always thought about buying some and then reselling on ebay...
Old 2nd February 2012, 06:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Robert Grinnell is one of the worst shysters in the business. Personal experience.
Old 2nd February 2012, 06:49 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Well maybe some of us can try solar power systems with inverters that run at 400 Hz. Then we could use smaller power transformers and caps, strange surplus bargains, and out homemade curve tracers could have a faster refresh rate. That huge amp got me thinking. I was looking at some big transmitting tubes a while back that could handle 40 Amperes anode current. A couple in series push-pull would make quite a killer but very simple OTL amp. The thing about filament current of hundreds of Amperes put me off a bit though, and no three phase power here either. And there's the matter of tougher speakers...and ears.
Old 4th February 2012, 06:56 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Austin Translation Send a message via Skype™ to Austin Translation
I bet you could run the fan/blower from that big amp fed a 400hz sine wave. It may run fine at 60hz just slower tho...

Hide this!Advertise here!