Changing valve damage - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2012, 08:08 AM   #1
mathewf is offline mathewf  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Default Changing valve damage

I tend to change my valves around in my amps fairly regurlary, particularly the power output valves (EL34s to KT88's etc). Am I likely to be shortening their life at all? I guess I'm fairly careful handling them...
Old 2nd February 2012, 08:19 AM   #2
Doz is offline Doz  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Shortening the life of the sockets through wear and tear. As long as the valves are run within ratings, and bias checked on swapping power tubes, I can't see what harm you're doing.
Old 2nd February 2012, 09:46 AM   #3
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Why? They are not like car tyres, with uneven wear.
Old 2nd February 2012, 10:19 AM   #4
Doz is offline Doz  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Presumably a tube rolling exercise...
Old 2nd February 2012, 12:37 PM   #5
mathewf is offline mathewf  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Why? They are not like car tyres, with uneven wear.
Partly to save my Mullard EL34s, also just to try stuff out... The concern was that by swapping the Mullards in and out to save them a little, I was actually shortening their lives...
Old 2nd February 2012, 01:04 PM   #6
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

If you break them that will shorten their lives. Some modern valve sockets might not like regular changes either.
Old 2nd February 2012, 01:14 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewf View Post
Partly to save my Mullard EL34s, also just to try stuff out... The concern was that by swapping the Mullards in and out to save them a little, I was actually shortening their lives...
It is a "Damned if you do; damned if you don't" situation. You can take out the Mullards, hang them on the wall in a frame, and look at them, it won't do them any harm, but then what is the use to having them? They won't sound good.

I kept telling my father this. He has a good wristwatch, he's retired, and he likes it but is worried about scratching said watch or knocking it about. I told him that he won't enjoy it if it is in his sock drawer because when will he want to wear it? It won't tell him what time it is nor will it do him any good in his grave. Sure he can save it for me, but use it. Make it practical and use it. If it gets damaged, it can always be repaired or replaced.

If he can't bring himself to wearing it, then get another watch and wear that one.

Granted Mullards are rare and expensive, but only you can decide how to enjoy them. Tubes are pretty strong and most times don't burn out like a filament lightbulb.

Me? I'd use them and listen to the sound they produce.
Old 2nd February 2012, 01:31 PM   #8
M Gregg is offline M Gregg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

In all honesty I think your more likely to damage them changing about tubes..
I have had tubes last for years just left alone and run as normal.
I have broken more tubes swapping and changing or moving tube amps about than through normal wear and tear.
That’s the problem with tubes on show..you keep messing with them. If they are inside an enclosure you tend to leave them alone and they last for ages.
However I like to see them as most people do…that’s the problem we like them and can’t keep our hand s off…such is the likes of us J

Mechanical damage is the problem..how many things have you dropped by accident? Don't hold them and your fine..
I would even say I tend to do more damage when I am over cautious with tubes and then get mad when one rolls off the table..

Regards
M. gregg

Last edited by M Gregg; 2nd February 2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 2nd February 2012, 01:39 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I tend to tube roll quite a bit.
And just like a tube tester, I use socket savers in my tube amps.
They also keep the bases of the tubes cooler too.

Steve
Old 2nd February 2012, 02:48 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Location: Near Eindhoven, the sanctum of the pentode. and among that other things.
Send a message via Skype™ to v4lve lover
or just sell the dam tubes and dont worry bout it buy a parametrical EQ and 2 sets of new EL34 for the money they fetched .

Hide this!Advertise here!