AC Heater reference to B+ - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st January 2012, 10:03 PM   #1
toufu is offline toufu  United States
diyAudio Member

Default AC Heater reference to B+

I am using AC for heater on my tube phono amp. How should the heater be referenced to B+? Do I have to do anything? Thanks.
Old 31st January 2012, 10:13 PM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

B+ may be too high, and could exceed heater-cathode voltage limits. The heater must be referenced to something. Try ground. If this works, fine. If not, try somewhere around +40V (use a potential divider).
Old 31st January 2012, 11:20 PM   #3
toufu is offline toufu  United States
diyAudio Member

Do I just take one of the ac lead and tie it to ground or +40v?
Old 31st January 2012, 11:24 PM   #4
jjman is offline jjman  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, or use the center tap (if if exists) or make an artificial CT with 2 resistors or a pot.
Old 1st February 2012, 01:57 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I see this used quite often (referencing the heater to a +ve voltage with respect to the cathode). Typical values I've seen are +30 to +40 Volts. I used +50V in both my latest HiFi Amp and Guitar Amp.
Last night I looked up the topic in RDH and I note that they recommended +70V.
Has anyone used this sort of "stand-off" voltage. Does that seem a bit high?
Cheers,
Ian
Old 1st February 2012, 02:16 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

One can use any voltage which is safe for the lowest heater-cathode rating. I am not aware of anything less than 100V. But I am not sure of a high voltage advantage; as far as I have read, some +30V to +40V is enough to cope with any heater-cathode leakage. Only if there is e.g. a cathodyne phase splitter or Schmitt (the LTP) where a signal carrying cathode is positive, a little consideration is necessary. The 'bias' voltage can then go up to a safe 80V, so as not to leave the signal cathode (at perhaps some +100V to +120V plus peak signal voltage) too positive w.r.t. the heater.
Old 1st February 2012, 05:22 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Heater-cathode leakage resistance increases with voltage away from 0V for most tubes it seems, with most change occuring by 10-15V difference. However the resistance even at 0V has been meassured for a few common valves of different ages to be pretty bloody high, and effectively negligible in terms of noticing any improvement, as the coupling is effectively swamped by heater/cathode capacitance (which is not changed by DC elevation). And if you don't bypass the DC elevation correctly then the hum/noise may get worse from ripple injection via the HV supply. It seems best initial aim is to do all standard hum reduction techniques wrt cabling, and use a humdinger pot to tune out gate/heater residual hum.
Old 1st February 2012, 09:35 AM   #8
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

In "Getting the most out of vacuum tubes" the author (I forget his name - you can Google) recommends +40V as giving the best life IIRC. This may or may not coincide with lowest noise/hum.
Old 1st February 2012, 09:46 AM   #9
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Tomer.

It's important to note that you would want that 40V (or whatever you choose) to be with respect to the cathode voltage, not ground!
Old 1st February 2012, 10:16 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

SY!! Don't do that ....

As SY said, but that is not always possible e.g. when max. heater-cathode voltage is 100V and a cathode sits at +120V. One then does as well as one can.

This brings me to the point that the problem is not with heater-cathode (leakage) resistance as such, but the fact that sometimes a positive cathode can pick up heater "hum" by acting like the anode of a heater-cathode diode (depending on circuit circumstances obviously). I have had a few occasions where the heater-positive state has cured hum-pickup. This is possibly a rare occurrence, but still it is easy to get the heater chain positive, just in case a rogue tube comes along acting up sometime.

Hide this!Advertise here!