Power amp vs preamp topology - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th January 2012, 08:32 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Power amp vs preamp topology

Greetings,

I have the following problem that I cannot fully understand.
In literature it is said that in a common preamp stage the topology for taking the output is as in attached figure top02.
However, when it comes to Power amplification they always put the output transformer in the place of Ra (plate resistor) like in attached figure top01. Is it possible to create a topology like the attached figure top02 (which is similar to a preamp stage).?

What are the differences between these two topologies??
They say that power amps must amplify also current (not only Voltage amplification). If do we amplify the voltage, the current is amplified also (according to the resistance), isn't it?

So, is it possible to have power amplification with topology in figure top01?

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: png top01.PNG (19.5 KB, 108 views)
File Type: png top02.PNG (21.1 KB, 104 views)
Old 28th January 2012, 09:11 PM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

The resistor drops a lot of DC voltage, so requires a high supply voltage. It also absorbs AC power. You can afford this in a small signal stage, but not in a power stage. Despite this, it is sometimes used in low power outputs.
Old 28th January 2012, 09:59 PM   #3
ryuji is offline ryuji  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
The resistor drops a lot of DC voltage
I dont know the state of mind in other designers, but in my signal gain stages i was counting on this, i assume im likely not alone. (brought 440v b+ down to 250 quiescent, from too high to proper operating point.
Old 28th January 2012, 11:01 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Topology one will work fine as a preamp or amp. Topology two is probably intended to be parallel feed so you need a cap between the tube and transformer or the transformer and ground. It will then work as a preamp or amp.

The advantage of parafeed is that it is easier to make a high inductance transformer if the transformer doesn't need to have an airgap. Without the airgap the quiescent current would saturate the transformer.

Hide this!Advertise here!