• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

old Heathkit amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, first post. I built a Heathkit AA-32 stereo amp which is about 40 years old. I haven't used it in years but have recently renewed my interest in audio and fired it up...works like it did as new! Question.. would it help extend tube life if I plug it into a variable power supply and slowly turn up the voltage? thanks
Jeff B

Hi all, first post. I built a Heathkit AA-32 stereo amp which is about 40 years old. I haven't used it in years but have recently renewed my interest in audio and fired it up...works like it did as new! Question.. would it help extend tube life if I plug it into a variable power supply and slowly turn up the voltage? thanks
Jeff B

You've already powered it up to listen to it. What's the point of the Variac now?

pics....

looks new!

Attachments

• IMG_1179.JPG
    IMG_1179.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 140
  • heath 1.jpg
    heath 1.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1181.JPG
    IMG_1181.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 129
Yes it wouldn't hurt! I think the it would be easier on filaments. Also helps with todays high line voltages. ICL's could be used too to help filaments and caps.
If it hasn't had all the coupling caps and PS caps changed you are risking your Transformers and sometimes tubes. Good to clean and tension tube sockets and check resistors too.

Randy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.