Help: Connecting two Fluke meters in series - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2012, 09:44 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help: Connecting two Fluke meters in series

I have seen someone connect two fluke meters in series to measure 1000+ voltage.
He uses a connector that goes from the "black" of one meter to the "red" of the other meter.

Could you guys tell me the name of this connector and where to get it ?
Old 27th January 2012, 09:47 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

There are different ways to measure high voltage - risking the destruction of two expensive Fluke meters shouln't be one of them.

Best regards,
Andreas
Old 27th January 2012, 09:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well - it should work, but Fluke makes high voltage probes and that is a better way to go. Or-- one could make a voltage divider with resistors of known value. Like a 100K in series with a 10K for a 10 to one ratio, then measure accross the 10K and multiply by 10.
Old 27th January 2012, 10:02 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Of course,

in principle it should work. But the division ratio of the voltages then depends solely on the internal resistances of the two meters. If they are not equal, one will see a higher voltage, possibly higher than its specifications. If it reacts by arcing or failing s/c, the second meter will be shot, too.

A high voltage probe is the best way to go, certainly cheaper than replacing two Flukes. If not available, an appropriate voltage divider as described by you would be best.

Greetings,
Andreas
Old 27th January 2012, 10:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Make sure to use good resistors in the divider.

If they fail due to overvoltage youŽll frye the meter.
Old 27th January 2012, 10:08 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I am aware of the Fluke high voltage probes like 80K-6.
However, I have two Fluke 87V. Each one is only 1000V max. So even if I have the high voltage probe, the meter would not read that high.

Unless I am missing something.

Last edited by HP8903B; 27th January 2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 27th January 2012, 10:13 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manp111 View Post
However, I have two Fluke 87V. Each one is only 1000V max. So even if I have the high voltage probe, the meter would not read that high.
Sorry but I think you misunderstand the way a high voltage probe works. Usually they divide the voltage down by a convenient ratio, or they contain active electronics which convert the high voltage range into a convenient DMM range, such as 1000V -> 1000mV.

With the probe you mentioned, any standard DMM can measure voltages in the kV range.

Regards,
Andreas

PS. Of course your meter can not read more than 1000V, it will show a value that has to be converted then!

Last edited by Rundmaus; 27th January 2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 27th January 2012, 10:13 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I found the connector that I mentioned.
It is Fluke TL222.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fluke-tl222.jpg (91.9 KB, 113 views)
Old 27th January 2012, 10:15 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Yes. I don't know how the high voltage probe works.

Thanks for clearing that up.

In that case, it is obvious that the high voltage probe is the way to go.
Old 27th January 2012, 10:18 PM   #10
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm sorry if this is being perceived as rude. That isn't my intention. But I'm a bit concerned by the perceived mismatch between the technical level of your questions and the technical level of what you are trying to do...

High voltage probes are essentially voltage divider. They divide the measured voltage by typically 10 or 100. So if you have a Div-by-100 probe, the meter will read 100x less than the measured voltage. I.e. if measuring 100 kV, the meter will read 1 kV. I sincerely hope you aren't measuring those kinds of voltages, though...

Even a few hundred volts can kill you without thinking twice about it.

~Tom

Hide this!Advertise here!