Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2012, 04:44 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Does anybody know anything about this German console

Hi, this is Curt-

Can anybody tell me or give my any information on this late 50's late 60's German console. Owner says it does not work but I am mainly interested in the speaker and it is complete for $50.00. I am going to look at this next week. I am including a picture and at this point, I don't have any more information.

Thanks German 8f1d9f.jpg
Old 27th January 2012, 04:56 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

You wouldn't happen to have a brand? Better pictures?

I've taken apart something similar, but it was a while back. I'm guessing Grundig. Maybe even the one that was the donor for the RH84 i have.

dave
Old 31st January 2012, 05:00 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave, I wish I had more info. The seller has it in storage and he couldn't remember the make.All I have is the picture. I'm going to meet him tomorrow,Tuesday. I think for $50.00 I probably buy it if it is not sold. If it is,I'll just have to concentrate on my newly acquired 1960 Magnificent Magnavox console Thanks again Curt
Old 31st January 2012, 06:36 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

If it is german, has a tube amp in it and speakers it is worth $50 just for salvage.

Post pictures after you bring it home.

dave
Old 31st January 2012, 06:43 AM   #5
Doz is offline Doz  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Try asking here :
UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Old 31st January 2012, 09:23 AM   #6
Funker is offline Funker  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUBACURT View Post
Hi, this is Curt-

Can anybody tell me or give my any information on this late 50's late 60's German console. Owner says it does not work but I am mainly interested in the speaker and it is complete for $50.00. I am going to look at this next week. I am including a picture and at this point, I don't have any more information.

Thanks Attachment 262606
Hi Curt,
it seems to be a Grundig or Loewe Opta Console, Here in germany wie call them "Musiktruhe" "music chest".

Try Google and look for "Musiktruhe" in connetion with the major radio makers like Grundig, Blaupunkt, Loewe Opta, Philips, SABA, Telefunken, Schaub Lorenz, Siemens.

With a little patience you will find a picture of this radio set. Most of the german collectors pages are additional in english.

good luck!

regards
Wolfgang
Old 31st January 2012, 09:37 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Good tip Wolfgang. I went thru the 1st 10 pages of images for both Grundig & LO, alot of Grundigs have the vertical slats theme, this one has the same layout but (from the small images) seems a bit fancier

Click the image to open in full size.

This is the page the image was associated with, but can't find the pic on it
Dampfradioforum • Thema anzeigen - Suche Musiktruhe ( allgemein )

The pic showed up in both the Grundig & LO search.

dave
Old 1st February 2012, 02:08 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

A minor note of caution.
I've seen a few german Consoles of this (or slightly later) vintage. Quite a few used ELL80 Output Tubes.
These are dual audio output pentodes, 2 of these tubes (4 pentodes total) were often used for parallel push pull with just 2 output tubes.
If it uses those tubes then there is the negative that replacements are VERY expensive and reasonably hard to find. Of-course if it does use those tubes and they turn out to be good then you may find that you have maybe 4 times the purchase price in tube value.
Cheers,
Ian
Old 1st February 2012, 02:22 AM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Ian,

I ELL80 can be replaced with 2 EL95... i've seen an ELL80 console with a factory installed daughter board with 2 EL95.

We did a nice little ELL80 amp (the 2nd tube is an EZ81) based on a Nordmende console.

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ell80-spudamp.jpg (43.6 KB, 324 views)
Old 1st February 2012, 05:28 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default German console?

Hi, this is Curt. I went, looked and bought ($40.00) the German console today. I was a little disappointed because it looks like a lower end model and I cannot find the make on it anywhere. I was hoping it would have larger speakers. It has 5-1/2 x 9 inch oval wizer cone speakers, small tweeter and no crossover. The speakers look good. Cabinet looks in good condition, just a few small scratches. It has really cool speaker grill covers. Record changer appears to be complete and not tampered with. The amplifier is dirty but not rusty. Someone has loosened the transformer, tuning dial string is broken but the dial glass and controls are nice. I did not want to try and power it up. It has these tubes: ELL80, EAF801, ECH81, ECC83 and ECC85. I am attaching some pictures- I am not sure what I am going to do with it yet...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg German 018.jpg (71.2 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg German 010.jpg (68.7 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg German 012.jpg (136.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg German 013.jpg (153.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg German 020.jpg (137.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg German 021.jpg (132.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg German 025.jpg (142.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg German 028.jpg (151.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg German 029.jpg (148.4 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg German 030.jpg (151.9 KB, 59 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!