• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Heater dillema for multi chassis phono stage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I'm currently working on a phono preamp, that's using 4 c3g tubes.

Originally, I was going to use a single case, but it was starting to look VERY squishy, so I'm going to gut an old preamp that I no longer use, and house the power transformers in that.
I figured an 8 pole speakon connector will suffice, wired something as follows :

1 : Safety earth
2 : HV
3 : HV (ground)
4 : Heater (6.3V)
5 : Heater (0V)
6 : 15V (voltage ref for regulator)
7 : 15V (ground)
8 : unused

What occurred to me, was that I've only got enough connections for 1 heater winding. If there is enough current (the winding is a 3A winding), can I run all four tubes of the single winding ? Each c3g uses about 0.4A, so there's plenty of overhead ...

Another question, is it better to rectify near the transformers and transfer DC, or transmit AC, and do the rectification in the main chassis ?

Thanks for that ...

Actually, if I rectify near the transformers, I can tie to 0V lines together, freeing up a connector for a second heater winding ...

That will make my speakon look like this :

1 : Safety earth
2 : 230V
3 : 15V
4 : 0V
5 : Heater (6.3V)
6 : Heater (0V)
7 : Heater (6.3V)
8 : Heater (0V)

I'll double up on the 0V lines in the cable itself, so the 230V and 15V lines may be twisted around a 0V line. Or would shielding the umbillical mitigate that necessity ?

No, I haven't sadly :(

I haven't been able to dedicate too much time to it. It is close to finished though.

They layout is pretty much done (for both PSU and preamp), and everything is screwed down, so what will be left to do is the actual wiring, then the testing, then the listening.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.