• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Suggestions for 7k output transformers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've seen some single-ended 6BM8/ECL82 schematics with a 7k primary. The Japanese "super triode" ECL82 is one that springs to mind. I've not built that circuit, but I have breadboarded the "Morse's Single Ended" ECL82 schematic found on this forum using 7.5K primary and was impressed enough with the sound to commit it to a chassis.

RH84 amp -Said to be well well liked if you google it.

RH 84 - Tube Audio ...... RH DESIGN

I don't think 7K will matter much as some designs as the Decaware ZEN EL84 SE amp is another to look at uses 10K outputs.

Edcor makes good bang for the $ transformers. Even the well regarded Zen uses them.

Just discovered RH has preamp's in google search of rh84 amp

RH 84 - Tube Audio ...... RH DESIGN

Last edited:
I've seen some single-ended 6BM8/ECL82 schematics with a 7k primary. The Japanese "super triode" ECL82 is one that springs to mind. I've not built that circuit, but I have breadboarded the "Morse's Single Ended" ECL82 schematic found on this forum using 7.5K primary and was impressed enough with the sound to commit it to a chassis.

Do you have a link?
I searched "Morse's Single Ended" with no results

Apologies, I thought it would be easy to find. I had the same problem relocating it as you.

Here's the schem:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'm running it triode-connected using 7.5K:8Ω OTs from an epiphone valve junior guitar amp. The little 5W OTs are more than enough iron for this little guy, and triode connected gives me exactly enough power for the speakers I want to use in a small home office environment.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Note that Morse's amp is SE Pentodewith no feedback so is going to be a current amplifier so care needs to be taken that the loudspeakers you use are happy with current drive.

From the map i drew that andrew just posted came an RH variation using the (supposedly rare -- i have lots) ECL86.

attachment.php

I plan to go ahead with this build, the layout below the scema is for some WE sockets i have that come with attached "tag strip". I haven't had it vetted yet,

Of the greyed out bits, the bypass cap on the output tube is probably a good idea, the screen grid regulation is optional

dave

Attachments

• ECL86-SE-amp.gif
    ECL86-SE-amp.gif
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,965
hello

Note that Morse's amp is SE Pentodewith no feedback so is going to be a current amplifier so care needs to be taken that the loudspeakers you use are happy with current drive. <snip>
Hello !!
Do you have pictures of the build of this schematic and the parts list. i would like to try this ECL86 schematic . the last schematic i tried gave me lot oscillation and possible grounding issues. ictures will help me run the wires properly and layout.

Thanks
Amit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.