Dared MC-7P Upgrades - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd March 2012, 02:08 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

I sold my Dared a little while ago but directed the new owner to this site. I will let him know about your post so he can look into it.
I am now the proud owner of a Herron preamp; to which I added V-Caps to; it sounds GREAT!
Old 15th August 2012, 06:38 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inline_phil View Post

I have updated the tube swap article to include the ground loop issue and one other I discovered while poking around: wrong values in the RIAA network. don;t get me started about stupid manufacturing mistakes but mine had one that is just inexcusable and points a finger at the quality control department.
Wondering if anyone has a bit more information about this RIAA issue. I'm specifically curious to know if this is actually an engineering issue or one of quality control? Is the RIAA network correct in the schematic, and inline_phil's unit was manufactured not according to spec? That's something that I would consider a qc issue, whereas if the design is actually wrong then it's likely a much more widespread problem, i.e. lots of units would need the fix applied. Wondering if inline_phil's was just a one-off mistake?
Old 5th January 2013, 08:17 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Default Remove power supply section's metal "guard?"

Has anyone removed the odd piece of metal that segregates the 3 power supply tubes from the 4 others? I just find that whenever I replace/swap the 5UG or the 6V6 or the one 12ax7 in that section, I end up having to remove all the tubes. I just feel like that stupid metal bar is getting in the way. What's the purpose of that bar anyway?

I've never opened up my MC 7P, but it appears that removing the base doesn't provide access to whatever affixes this metal bar to the unit's enclosure. Any advice or words of caution?

Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 09:00 AM   #24
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by illweather View Post
What's the purpose of that bar anyway?
Decoration.
Old 5th January 2013, 09:05 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Okay, I assumed "the bar" had no real purpose. I guess it looks okay, but overall it just gets in the way...
Old 5th January 2013, 09:16 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Also, the following is a list of the tubes I currently have installed:

RCA 5U4G, RCA 6V6GT, (now from left to right) a Electroharmonix goldpin 12AX7, a Mullard CV4024/12AT7, a Baldwin 12AX7, and a pair of ribbed plate Telefunkens for the phonostage.

Just picked up a few new (old stock) tubes, so I plan to try a few new combonations this weekend. I won't be messing with the phonostage, I have no plans to upgrade those two.
Old 31st January 2013, 11:06 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Default Correction, update

My mistake, the rectifier I have is an RCA 5U5G.

Lately I have been using a Tung Sol 5U4G brown base in place of the aforementioned RCA. It sounds great! Might not be as sonically accurate as the RCA 5U5G, but it just sounds amazing when listening to a lot of my favorite Jazz and Soul albums. Specifically a lot of my favorite instruments sound great when using this tube, including: hollow body jazz guitars, rhodes and electric organs, vibes and more. As a result I have kept this Tung Sol in for the last few weeks.

I have also swapped around the 6V6. I have an RCA 6V6GT that seems to be great, but wanted to try a few others. One was terrible, a metal jacket RCA JAN 6V6Y. The other I tried recently was an RCA JAN-CRC-6Y6G-VT. It sounds good so far, but its large and barely fits (due to that stupid metal bar I mentioned in my earlier post). Right now with the Tung Sol 5U4G installed this 6Y6G fits, but it won't fit if/when I switch back to big RCA 5U5G...

More later, I have some 12AX7s to test next.

Last edited by illweather; 31st January 2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 4th April 2013, 02:09 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

I am looking at this pre as it seems the best bang for the buck tube/remote/phono out there and I was wondering if anyone has compared the integrated phono to a Jolida JD9? I was hoping to get the MC7p and be able to sell my JD9.

Thanks!
Old 5th April 2013, 11:48 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Absolutely- that is why I sold the Dared. There is no comparison stock or modded.
Here is my Jolida:
Turntable Forum • Jolida Jd9 Mod Project

I contributed here too:
Jolida JD9 Upgrade/Mods Clarification.
Old 5th April 2013, 12:35 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Wow, great info! Thanks for saving me the time an hassle of buying and selling the Dared!

Hide this!Advertise here!