New Tim Mellows OTL project - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2012, 03:08 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Default Anodising the top panel

on my first attempt I tried unsuccessfully to seal the top panel in a steam box, I have tried a few test pieces and get better results boiling in de ionised water....
I just need to get a pan large enough to take a 300mm x 430mm panel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Anodise.JPG (333.2 KB, 750 views)
Old 30th January 2012, 06:02 PM   #22
M Gregg is offline M Gregg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith01793 View Post
on my first attempt I tried unsuccessfully to seal the top panel in a steam box, I have tried a few test pieces and get better results boiling in de ionised water....
I just need to get a pan large enough to take a 300mm x 430mm panel.
This is interesting...

Please give full info of how you are anodising ..chemicals and type of power and currents etc..just for fun of course..

What colour are you going to use?

On my visits to anodising the vats were open and heated to a specific temp. Coveyor feed...It is possible to burn the aluminium and get a speckled effect (over current)<<not good..

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited by M Gregg; 30th January 2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 30th January 2012, 07:19 PM   #23
TheGimp is online now TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

We used Rit Dye in college to get different colors. I don't know if the composition of Rit dye has changed since then (late 1970s) as I've seen reference to a liquid and what we used was in powder form.
Old 31st January 2012, 07:36 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I am using sodiumbisulphate as the electrolite instead of the usual nasty sulphuric acid (this is used to lower the ph in swimming pools) so far with good results on small samples.

I have done a test on a small plate using yellow printer ink as the dye to test and this worked well but for my amp I want silver.
as for the current most on line diy info suggests 12 amps per square foot per hour with a max current of 6A to avoid overheating thus at max curent taking 2 hours to anodise.
. I have built a variable psu for testing but I used a car battery charger with a 10000 uf cap for the large top plate.
Old 31st January 2012, 09:18 AM   #25
lechuck is offline lechuck  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Smile Very interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith01793 View Post
Hi,

I am using sodiumbisulphate as the electrolite instead of the usual nasty sulphuric acid (this is used to lower the ph in swimming pools) so far with good results on small samples.

I have done a test on a small plate using yellow printer ink as the dye to test and this worked well but for my amp I want silver.
as for the current most on line diy info suggests 12 amps per square foot per hour with a max current of 6A to avoid overheating thus at max curent taking 2 hours to anodise.
. I have built a variable psu for testing but I used a car battery charger with a 10000 uf cap for the large top plate.
Hi,

This sounds very interesting! Would it be possible for you to open a new topic and describe the proces that you are using to anodize aluminum? I think allot of diy members (like myself) could benefit from knowing this information
Old 31st January 2012, 09:30 AM   #26
M Gregg is offline M Gregg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lechuck View Post
Hi,

This sounds very interesting! Would it be possible for you to open a new topic and describe the proces that you are using to anodize aluminum? I think allot of diy members (like myself) could benefit from knowing this information
Yes please create a DIY anodising for dummies thread...

This sounds like I'm joking but I'm not..This would be brilliant for the DIY forum..

A few diagrams of the circuit and setup would be great...perhaps a few photos of your anodised parts and progress..Well with printer ink there are a few coulours
Magenta, Blue, Black, Cyan, it goes on..

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited by M Gregg; 31st January 2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 31st January 2012, 01:34 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

I am also interested in your anodizing process. I have several projects sitting around polished waiting for me to electrify a bucket of battery acid. +3 for a new thread.
Old 5th February 2012, 11:49 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Hi all,

I will start a new thread on my anodising antics when I get the time,
at the moment I am busy with the OTL project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg start.JPG (328.9 KB, 634 views)
File Type: jpg tagstip.JPG (330.7 KB, 595 views)
File Type: jpg bar.JPG (329.8 KB, 592 views)
Old 5th February 2012, 02:53 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Finished fitting rails for all the caps ( 2 more 100/250 to find a home for )
notice the protection around the panel ...I have promised myself not to drop or dent this one while working on it

I have just managed to squeeze in big fat Russian PIO caps ,the panel is standard 430 x 300 (17x12) hi-fi size but still seems quite full, I don't know how Tim managed to fit it all in to his 12 x 9 inch chassis.

Well back to work... soon be time to fire up the soldering iron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2nd rail.JPG (330.3 KB, 574 views)
File Type: jpg caps.JPG (332.7 KB, 325 views)
File Type: jpg pio.JPG (326.1 KB, 317 views)
Old 6th February 2012, 01:00 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Nice way to fitt the caps , and nice construction too .

Hide this!Advertise here!