Melted my mains transformer - Where to find replacement ? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2012, 10:30 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

I've used these guys in the past for custom transformers and they were quite reasonably priced

'Vvt Ltd' design and make Wound Components including Transformers, Chokes and special Coil Winding.
Old 21st January 2012, 10:38 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the responses

I have removed it & taken it apart.... The primary windings look pefectly fine but all the secondaries are a crusty mess, even the bobbin has melted. Its think its safe to say its fit for the knackers yard.

Apparently its "spring festival" in China at the moment so the manufacturer cant check they're stock until Feb. I have also been in touch with Glasshouse Transformers who are looking into winding me a new pair which although more costly would be far better made than the originals.

Thanks again, I'll update with any progress.
Old 21st January 2012, 10:39 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrier Bag Man View Post
I've used these guys in the past for custom transformers and they were quite reasonably priced

'Vvt Ltd' design and make Wound Components including Transformers, Chokes and special Coil Winding.

Thanks for that, I'll send them an email.
Old 21st January 2012, 10:41 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Oohps.

At least you have a result.

Viva Cornwall - Even if it is raining here in Plymouth.
Old 21st January 2012, 06:38 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

The plot thickens!

I have been discussing them with a nice chap from VVT who thinks the labelling might be wrong as 270v-0v-250v is quite strange & 3.8v for heaters is also rather odd.

The other transformer (there are 2 monoblocks) still powers up but smells burnt so I powered it up and stuck my dvm on the secondaries and got the following voltages:

298v-0v-319
3.4v-0v-7.2v
6.8v-0v

All very different to whats printed on the transformer

Hide this!Advertise here!