• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Effect of high mains voltage?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I have recently received an MS-20L and it appears to be built for a mains supply of 115 VAC. I've measured my mains voltage at 126 VAC, so I checked the heater voltage at the socket and it's at 6.9 VAC. I searched through some old threads and found this graph:
9601d1250547394t-effects-high-heater-voltage-tremaine_gloedspaenning-vs-lifetime.gif

Which shows that at 10% higher than rated heater voltage, tube life decreases by 10%...so I'm debating whether remediation is worth the effort...

I can get a variac for $100, but is that the way to go?

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
rather than getting a variac which I would rather use for developing projects try to source a custom (or prebuilt) transformer which will give you the desired voltage drop for 115VAC use.
An isolation transformer might be what you are looking for. It costs a fraction of an ordinary transformer (isolated windings) and will still support large power demands.

Hi,
I have recently received an MS-20L and it appears to be built for a mains supply of 115 VAC. I've measured my mains voltage at 126 VAC, so I checked the heater voltage at the socket and it's at 6.9 VAC. I searched through some old threads and found this graph:
9601d1250547394t-effects-high-heater-voltage-tremaine_gloedspaenning-vs-lifetime.gif

Which shows that at 10% higher than rated heater voltage, tube life decreases by 10%...so I'm debating whether remediation is worth the effort...

I can get a variac for $100, but is that the way to go?
I will agree with a previous poster, I do not like Variacs or external transformers, cause the new avaliable power to the amp, will be the only the max Variac power, which is smaller than a electric plant or building big transformer.
I would prefer re-winding the amp transformer to the right tension of the house.
Good luck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.