• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Phonostage (WAD clone) and 12B4A Preamp Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had built a WAD phonostage clone and a 12B4A line driver in a wooden wine crate. The power supply was housed separately. The phonostage hummed a bit. The line driver seemed fine. So after a few years, I thought I'd better put it in a proper shielded box.

This set up was in the library with some 2A3 monoblocks and a Garrard 401. But the cartridge had an unfortunate accident, so I thought might as well get off my butt and get this done.

I put the new kit in the main system in the living room replacing my Linn Linto.

This is the WAD phonostage circuit. I don't show the step up and 10k loading resistor. (Or the 1st grid leak). The CCS on top of the 1st stage passes 0.9mA and the one under the CF 0.8mA.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here's the PS.
PhonoPS.jpg

Here's the 12B4A line driver. I used a Sowter preamp output transformer. Running 120V on the plate.
PreAmp.jpg

Here the Pre's PS (don't hold me to that first cap value, I need to check it)
PreAmpPS.jpg

Here's the first stage CCS
PhonoLoad.jpg

Everything went together nicely. I did enjoy the prices at Digi-key over Radio Spares, now that i am in the US. And I used Sonic Cap for some caps.

I lined the box with copper. Here's the hard wired rat's net.

PhonoPre1.jpg

PhonoPre2.jpg

PhonoPre3.jpg

I sprayed the box with semi-flat black.

PhonoPre4.jpg

PhonoPre5.jpg

Here's the separate power supply.

PhonoPre6.jpg

In it's new habitat.

PhonoPre7.jpg

Obligatory glowing tube shot

PhonoPre8.jpg

And my trusty and dusty WAD push pull.

PhonoPre9.jpg

I'm no reviewer when it comes to writing about the sound. Just sounds really good. A bit different from the Linto. Lush and maybe not with as much attack as the Linto. But needs time to settle in.

Oh and extremely quiet the phonostage is. Scary quiet. At moderate levels, switching from CD to Phonostage just barely gives a tiny bit of noise. I was shocked. Of course, turn the dial to "10" and it is noticeable.

Funny thing is that the pre amp is giving me a warm dose of hum. I don't recall that before. I'll have to look into that. But later....

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.