• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6E2 vacuum tube compatibility

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, everybody.

I am considering buying a vacuum tube amplifier, which includes a 6E2 (EM87) magic eye for retro look, and I wonder if I could safely exchange this tube with the pin-compatible EM85? By safely, I mean without any modification of the amplifier device.

For memory, here are these tubes data sheets :

Thank you in advance.

Regards.

If I understand, changing the 6E2 with the EM85 will lead to an decreased sensitivity of the magic eye?

In this case, can I put on of these tubes instead of the furnished 6E2 :

They seems to be pin-compatible, as they have both noval pin, but I have to admit that my electronics learning are far in my college years.

By the way, if somebody knows a magic eye tube which has a shadow sector pattern and is pin-compatible with 6E2, I'll take it! :D

EM85 is very rare and was used in some Schaub-Lorenz and SABA radios. It is really a better idea to hand them over to some collectors or something.

Why don't you use russian magic eyes ? There are tons of them out there. 6Е1П has a nice shadow sector pattern and is available from ebay. Here is a nice page where you can see nearly every magic eye ever produced.

To replace an EM87, you can directly use an EM84 or a 6Е2П without any problem. I've already tried that several times. The anode résistor was 470K in each case. The patterns are quite similar, although not always perfectly centered, by this little defect is inherent to the eye's machanical construction. In a stereo amp, the main difficulty will be to find two eyes whith exactly the same pattern. EM84-6E3P

Concerning the EM84, I was under the impression that it has a similar pattern than EM87, and yet I would like another pattern than the light band pattern of EM87, something similar to EM80 (preferably), EM81 or EM85; is the 6Е2П tube matching with what I'm looking for?

Not at all, but I thought that this topic was dead, or buried. Could you precisely explain what you plan to build. It's gonna be much easier to reply with a convenient answer. But as you're not far from me, you can also use the "contact" button at the end of the 1st page from my website, and drop me a mail with your phone number. It will probably be easier to exchange ideas.

"Build" is very far from what I want to do; indeed, I would like to buy a FATMAN VALVE DOCK Carbon vacuum tube amplifier which, apart from the 2 main amplifying vacuum tube, come with a 6E2 magic eye. Nevertheless, I would like to use, without any modification (considering my near zero electronics level, I find it more safe), use another magic eye with a different, and in my opinion much more pretty, pattern similar to the EM85 vacuum tube. I know that several tubes that I quoted before are at least pin compatible, but I wondered if changing the supplied tube would pose a problem and if it would work as it is.

PS: nothing personnal, but I prefer to use this forum to communicate, be it only out of concern for allowing other users to see our talk and learn from it.

So, now, I understand where the error comes from! The magic eye represented on the photo from the commercial amplifier has the pattern of a 6E3P, (NOT A 6E2P), which is totally compatible with EM84 and EM87. (double green stripe, with variable length) By the way, this type of indicator is really easy to buy from Russian stores on EB, from 5 to 10 Euros each. Some of my amplifiers are fitted with these tubes for years. 6E2P seem to have a pattern similar to EM80, 81, and 85, with a roughly triangular shape, and a variable apex. I hope that my explanations are not too difficult to understand...

I'm trying to cling. ;-) So "my" vacuum tube is identical to 6E3P, and this tube can, from an electronical point view, be replaced with a 6E2P vacuum tube which has the pattern I want. Do I have to expect sensitivity problem (ie. different sensitivity which leads to a saturated or mostly unused display)?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.