6E2 vacuum tube compatibility - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2012, 10:26 AM   #11
Penegal is offline Penegal  France
diyAudio Member

Hello? Blaireau, did you forget me?
Old 5th February 2012, 12:55 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Not at all, but I thought that this topic was dead, or buried. Could you precisely explain what you plan to build. It's gonna be much easier to reply with a convenient answer. But as you're not far from me, you can also use the "contact" button at the end of the 1st page from my website, and drop me a mail with your phone number. It will probably be easier to exchange ideas.
Old 5th February 2012, 01:12 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

"Build" is very far from what I want to do; indeed, I would like to buy a FATMAN VALVE DOCK Carbon vacuum tube amplifier which, apart from the 2 main amplifying vacuum tube, come with a 6E2 magic eye. Nevertheless, I would like to use, without any modification (considering my near zero electronics level, I find it more safe), use another magic eye with a different, and in my opinion much more pretty, pattern similar to the EM85 vacuum tube. I know that several tubes that I quoted before are at least pin compatible, but I wondered if changing the supplied tube would pose a problem and if it would work as it is.

PS: nothing personnal, but I prefer to use this forum to communicate, be it only out of concern for allowing other users to see our talk and learn from it.
Old 5th February 2012, 01:55 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

So, now, I understand where the error comes from! The magic eye represented on the photo from the commercial amplifier has the pattern of a 6E3P, (NOT A 6E2P), which is totally compatible with EM84 and EM87. (double green stripe, with variable length) By the way, this type of indicator is really easy to buy from Russian stores on EB, from 5 to 10 Euros each. Some of my amplifiers are fitted with these tubes for years. 6E2P seem to have a pattern similar to EM80, 81, and 85, with a roughly triangular shape, and a variable apex. I hope that my explanations are not too difficult to understand...
Old 5th February 2012, 03:53 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I'm trying to cling. ;-) So "my" vacuum tube is identical to 6E3P, and this tube can, from an electronical point view, be replaced with a 6E2P vacuum tube which has the pattern I want. Do I have to expect sensitivity problem (ie. different sensitivity which leads to a saturated or mostly unused display)?
Old 5th February 2012, 04:01 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I'm afraid we will never understand one each other, that's why I asked you to send me a mail. As I never replaced a 6E3P with a 6E2P, I CAN'T say it works. And as I don't own a 6E2P to do the trial, I simply can't answer your question. Sorry!

Hide this!Advertise here!