• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Single ended at 24Vcc 1+1W @ 8 ohm - three tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My new project

The performances are incredibly good in spite of such a low supply voltage.

Tubes: one 12FQ7 (or ECC82 with lower gain) and two PL504

valvol16.jpg

PL504

pl50411.png

ECC82 - 12FQ7

ecc8210.png

Last edited:
OK, each to their own!

Actually reminded me why I bought some 25L6's. Looking at my tube stash and could not remember why I bought these as I had a different tube but running a different heater voltage that could do the same function. Now I remember I wanted to run them off a 24v transformer and double the voltage running the plates around 60v. Or was it triple the voltage and run 90v?

EL504 will not work as you expect with Vg2=24V. You should not be able to bias the tube over a few mA.

ECC82 is not the best tube at normal Ua. At this Ua it will perform really bad and will not be able to drive an output tube.

Try this amp and you will be surprised.

The PL504 in this circuit is biased at about 35 mA and it is enough.
ECC 82 is frequently used with supply voltage as low as 12Vcc in regenerative radios or small preamps, but for this specific circuit 12FQ7 works better.

Last edited:
I didn't measure the ouput power and can't say this amp is 1 W RMS or 1W PEP or wathever else.
I can just say I use this amp to drive a couple of Sony speaker boxes of 8ohm impedance and the output sound power is enough to sonorize my studio.
For sure it is not 0,1 W othervise it would not been able to drive anything.

The scope of this amp is not to demonstrate to anyone that I made a perfect amp or create a new fantastic project, it is just to listen to my preferred music coming from my laptop at good fidelity and at enough sound level to drive a couple of mini hi-fi boxes without risking electrical shocks.

If you you want to build and try it you are welcome.

Last edited:
This is the first prototype I made (just one channel), after that i built the wired stereo prototype you can see on the schematic above.

valvol14.jpg

The first prototype had a bypass catode capacitor on triodes, I removed it to decrease gain and distortion.
The first prototipe had higher bias current on PL504, I decreased it to improve distortion (less output power).

First prototype schematic:

valvol15.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.