• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Single ended at 24Vcc 1+1W @ 8 ohm - three tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
p1030718.jpg

Component side:

p1030717.jpg

This is the final version of my 24Vcc tube stereo amplifier.

To increase the output power I decreased the catode resistor of the two PL504s from 56 to 39 ohm.

I also added a capacitor of 100 uF 35V in parallel to the catode resistor of the two triodes of ECC82 (higher gain).

The two output transformers you see on the picture are normal line trasformers 220v/24v 40VA, they do not saturate because of such a low anode voltage (24v) and also because they are big enough. I also choosed two transformers with higher inductance to minimize losses at low frequencies.

Note: the primary impedance of these transformers is about 800 ohm with 8 ohm load on the secondary.

Last edited:
If you don't use batteries pay particular attention to the 24Vcc filtering to avoid 50/60 Hz noise.

I used a 4.700 uF 63V capacitor after the diode bridge, than i connected the secondary of an old transformer 220v/12v in series at + line as a filter inductance, and another 4.700 uF capacitor at the output.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with valves at low voltage...

I made a pre-amp a while back that used 6SN7, first half as gain stage and second as cathode-follower, Worked very good at only 12V...
Tried a variety of valves such as ECCxx and even Nuvistors there, but the best was a 6/30L2, gen. purpose double-triode.

As an improvement to the O/P's amp, maybe a ECC86 would be a better choice than ECC82, as it was designed for low-voltages....

A MOSFET voltage reference (Mozener) in the cathode of PL504 could give benefits in place of the cathode-resistor, and give adjustable bias too....

Nothing wrong with valves at low voltage...

I made a pre-amp a while back that used 6SN7, first half as gain stage and second as cathode-follower, Worked very good at only 12V...
Tried a variety of valves such as ECCxx and even Nuvistors there, but the best was a 6/30L2, gen. purpose double-triode.

As an improvement to the O/P's amp, maybe a ECC86 would be a better choice than ECC82, as it was designed for low-voltages....

A MOSFET voltage reference (Mozener) in the cathode of PL504 could give benefits in place of the cathode-resistor, and give adjustable bias too....

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, I will try :)

this is the Hi-Fi version of same circuit, it works at 50V instead of 24.
The filament voltage of PL504 is 24 Vac (twisted wires), the filament voltage of ECC82 is 12Vcc stabilized by L7812CV.
The output power is about 2W per channel.

valvol21.jpg

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I soldered the anode of PL504 directly to the wire

I used a cheap camcoder (Sony handycam DCR-SX15)

I mean where is the music coming from to the amp..Ipod etc..

Might have a go for fun..mount the PL500's horizontal..and put them in a box out of sight with mesh top and bottom.. LOL

What type of resistors have you used carbon or metal film?

Might try the HP idea with a switch to disconnect the OP Tx's and a HP socket..Not direct though 50v is a bit high for me on the HP..

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.