Paralleling filament transformers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2012, 10:22 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Paralleling filament transformers

Hi
For reasons of having modified my amp , one of the filament transformers is having a bit of trouble driving the heaters. It is rated 2A @ 6.3 V. I have another tranny which is a different brand rated @1A.A bigger tranny wont fit in the space available (so swapping out the 2 A one isnt an option) but I can shoehorn in the 1A one. I can of course mount a bigger one externally but am loathe to do that for aesthetic reasons.
So can I parallel the 2A and 1A provided I get the phase correct of course.
Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 10:25 PM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

You may need balancing resistors as it is unlikely that the voltages will be equal. Better to drive some valves from one and some from the other?
Old 12th January 2012, 11:44 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Paralleling transformers that are not identical is just asking for trouble.
How about using the bigger transformer for the output tubes and thje smaller for the rest of the tubes?
Old 13th January 2012, 07:19 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks

Hi there.
I have tracked down the inability of my filament setup (regulated as per pete Milletts regulators for his complex 300b amp)to maintian steady voltage to a wiring issue. Now i get a stable voltage.
Initially,I would measure the voltage to the 2 6sn7's and it would vary by .1 of a volt (it would hunt) then after 20 minutes it would drop .2 to .25 of a volt and the tranny would get hot (filament tranny that is). I isolated the issue by wiring each sn7 socket independent of the other and no shenanagens at all. I can only conclude it was my soldering when i had the 2 sockets connected in parallel for heater feed. I seem to have fixed it for now. I thought the transformer was not up to the job (custom wound 2 Amp 6.3V) and so i hooked up the other one I had which supplied 3A and found it was doing the same hunting. Given 2 sn7's would consume 1.2 A max, I couldnt understand why the regulator was not rock solid like the other regulators on board. I swapped regulator boards to eliminate it as a variable and found that all regulated supplies and even the 3A transformer would hunt. I swapped out sn7's etc so in the end i narrowed it down to tube socket or wiring
I , after much reading, have surmised that paralleling transformers is not desireable at all and best avoided.
Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 10:00 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Run some heaters off one transformer the others on the second one.

Hide this!Advertise here!