Equalize or Not Equilize when driving a tube amp ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2012, 04:38 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Equalize or Not Equilize when driving a tube amp ?

I got bit by the tube bug when I bought my first MiniWatt N3. The little amp has a permanent home in the bedroom driving a pair of Energy CB-20 speakers. I get to listen to it often. Now it's time to upgrade the sound system in the living room. I've got an old Kenwood KR 350. I've had it since I was in my early twenties. Now I'm upgrading with a Jolida 202s. I plan on using the pre out so I can connect the kenwood and still use the tuner and Techics turntable without buying a preamp right away. I'll directtly connect my Ipod to the Aux input, any equalization will be done on the ipod, that's what I do now. I've got an old 10 band Realistic Graphic Equalizer that has worked well with the Kenwood Amp. Have any of you fed the Main out from the equilizer to a line in of a tube amp ? Main Out = Line out but I was wondering if I was just better off with no EQ in the loop.
Eventually I'll just have the Ipod, Turntable (connected with a tube based phono preamp) , and eventually a HD Radio will take the Kenwoods place

I'm hooked on the soundstage and detail that you can easily hear with a tube based amp. Do you loose anything when you add an equalizer ?
Old 12th January 2012, 04:43 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
I believe that if the audio levels and impedances are comparable between them, there mustn´t be any trouble. Looking into the amplifier from the input terminals, tube or not tube amplifiers are almost equal.

Last edited by Osvaldo de Banfield; 12th January 2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 12th January 2012, 04:53 PM   #3
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I'm a purist so I would say try it without and if the sound is really not to your liking then add the EQ.. Note also that you have probably become used to the way it sounds Eq'd so it might take some fiddling with speaker placement and time for you to like the unequalized sound.

Hide this!Advertise here!