How to retire from DIY and sell off all your workshop contents? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2012, 09:07 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Hi

Just a thought - how about things similar to this:

Events Diary - British Vintage Wireless Society

Plenty of vintage radio and other type swapmeets\jumble etc.

Admittedly, a bit of a pain to get to (2nd floor living noted!) but may help to get rid of a lot of stuff.

HTH

Dave
Old 12th January 2012, 09:10 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Magz - I think I've reached the end stop with tubes - nothing sounds better than 26, 46, 10Y etc, and all the other DHTs like 30 and 1G4GT are pretty close. So I have a lot of projects to clear out that brought me to that point - they can all be configured for use with the best DHTs, no problem there.

I have bizarre hankering to build a solid state output stage..... I'm sure you'll all groan but I know nothing of solid state and it would be a challenge! I may regret it......

Re Vintage Wireless meets - would people buy DHT tubes in general? Or is it just wirelesses and radio equipment?

Andy

Last edited by andyjevans; 12th January 2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12th January 2012, 10:30 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Hey Andy

If you would like to try Solid State before getting rid of all that great stuff (and maybe regretting it) you're welcome to borrow my F5 for a while. I can easily drop it around to yours.

Having heard your setup i think you'll find it lacking 'life'... But in your system who knows until you try.

Regards

Iestyn
Old 13th January 2012, 03:47 AM   #24
ElCid79 is offline ElCid79  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey Man,

I am brand new to this site, in fact this is my first post. I am curious about learning how to build tube amps. You mentioned that you had a bunch of extra kits around. I live in the US and have been searching over here for more infomation.

If you have any good entry level kits, that will give good sound quality, I would love to get a hold of them, and give them a new home.

Do you have any you want to part with? If your just going to toss it I would love to build it instead. With that said though how much would it cost to get you to part with them... I am not looking to cherry pick your stuff, just get enough to have a good basic start.

Cheers.
Old 13th January 2012, 04:57 AM   #25
BFNY is offline BFNY  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Andy;

Here's my suggestion for you.

Separate out your most valuable tubes, and other high value, lightweight items, i.e. like teflon caps, etc.

These are hard to replace, easy to carry and ship, and can be sold in lots on EBay or elsewhere and shipped around the globe.

Then make a stock of your heavy iron, chassis, etc that you don't want to carry anywhere.
Sell the heavy stuff on Ebay or other Audio forums, perhaps like here, or Audiogon. Specify "local pickup only, no exceptions". Take LOTS of pictures. Perhaps join a free photo site and create albums so you can give people links to see it all. This stuff you may have to give away for less $, but sold in lots, it will disappear. It's quite possible when people come to pickup, they may buy more.

BTW, I have a box of 2C22's and 26 tubes here bought at your recommendation that I have not done a thing with yet! Hope to soon though.
You are likely doing the right thing, though. Last year I helped a woman clear out her fathers inventory of electronics parts, saved over his lifetime, after he passed away. It was an enormous job for her, most of it of it was junk, filling 4 large outdoor sheds. At the end she was selling it for $2 a wheelbarrow. I grabbed what I could, filling the back of my car completely 5 times trying to save the stuff of most value to pass on to others. Huge volumes of things like quality pots, and so on. It did not even make a dent. Most of it ended up in the dumpster.

It really got me thinking about how I didn't want to do that to anyone in my family, and slowly I'm reducing what I have here as well. Like you, I have a lot.
Bob
Old 13th January 2012, 05:07 AM   #26
Junm is offline Junm  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Junm
I'm looking for OPT's even used as long as they are still working fine since my budget is short for brand new ones, maybe you have some...but the shipping cost is terribly pretty....
if you have some pics of your items maybe it will be easier to sell them....as well as tube numbers....
Old 13th January 2012, 09:35 AM   #27
taj is offline taj
diyAudio Member

My intuition tells me that mixing the goodies with the less-goodies wouldn't have the desired results. The price you get will probably be the same as for the goodies alone, and since the box is bigger, shipping is higher, and bidders will be fewer. The less-goodies will probably end up in the landfill after that exchange regardless. The winner in that deal would be the postal carrier.

I would probably (if it were my problem) sell the goodies, getting a decent price for them, and sell cheap or donate (or otherwise unload) the box of less goodies, perhaps to one of those ubiquitous surplus junk stores that like to call themselves "antique shops", but really are just old crap stores. (A 1967 GE toaster in harvest gold with both knobs missing is more old crap than antique!) A box of low-demand tubes would fit right in there. I'm glaring deviously at a box full of 1B3 diodes as I say this.

Selling a bulk box of low-demand tubes on eBay might get you some cash, you never know. But listing the lot contents and packing them for shipment such that they don't arrive as a box of broken glass, might not be worth the effort.

I'm pretty sure you would not have much problem selling the iron.

..Todd

Last edited by taj; 13th January 2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 13th January 2012, 10:21 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Location: kansas city mo, and on occasion, around the world ...
i feel that you should keep everything.
Old 13th January 2012, 10:45 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Hi BFNY

I hear you! I had to clear out my father's stuff - he was a hoarder - and it's something nobody wants to do. I'm pretty central in London, and even small rooms rent out for money. It's just not a place you want to accumulate stuff in. I grew up in the country - my Dad was a doctor and we had a big house. There were specific rooms like the library, the workshop, the garage, the garden shed and so on. City dwellers can only dream of these things, but habits stay in your head - I find it hard to think of any appartment big or small without a "workshop" of some kind, and a kitchen table is just too kinky.

I'm going to start dividing stuff into free, low price and premium price lots. That's a good idea. When the free stuff goes I'll have more space to move and can start on the low price stuff. The premium stuff can wait - top tubes, teflon caps etc. - since it's light and easily stored. Starting to develop some plans here. And as everyone says, photos, photos, photos. My son uses an online photo site - he's a designer. I'll ask him.

This is all really useful

andy
Old 13th January 2012, 11:28 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Another thought.

One way to maximise the re-distribution, possibly, would be to put together 'kits' of parts to build amps, pre-'s etc. That way you could bundle up the more esoteric tubes etc with the more prosaic components without it sounding like a grab bag.

Include a circuit diagram and it goes from a bag of bits to a readymade 'project'.

Dave

Hide this!Advertise here!