How to retire from DIY and sell off all your workshop contents? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2012, 05:53 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

How many times I have bought stuff for a good price and then not needed it.

I would rather give it to a good home than ditch it.
DIY money spent is money GONE.

If you can sell to someone that will treat it with the care that you bought it, I suffer the loss. FREQUENTLY.
Old 12th January 2012, 05:56 PM   #12
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Andy,
Since you are in London, how about some sort of swap-meet. I'm not in London, but I expect there are the largest concentration of UK diy'ers there. If you publish well ahead of time, many might travel.
Old 12th January 2012, 06:04 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Are any of your partiallu assempled projects a Single Ended Amplifier ?

I'm looking to build a single ended amplifier. Do you have parts for that ?
A single ended amp with something like KT88 or 6550 tubes would be a fun project.
Old 12th January 2012, 06:46 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

sell all the popular tubes on ebay... NOS prices are ridicules high for popular tubes. The rest is properly harder to get rid of ( and of course MUCH more valuable for us inhere ).

Im sure that th UK must have a national HIFI site as well, thats usual a good place for heavy quality electronics.

I would love to get my hand on such a lot *s*
Old 12th January 2012, 07:17 PM   #15
Doz is offline Doz  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunark View Post
How about a local school where either a teacher or you could mentor an up-and-comer?
Those days have sadly gone. Fear of litigation, and heaven forbid anything that operates on more than 12V ....
Old 12th January 2012, 08:24 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys for some useful ideas I hadn't thought of. I like the idea of mixing easy to sell and hard to sell tubes in one job lot. That could help. The problem I have is that I made the decision to collect not common tubes but DHTs - all directly heated tubes. This has provided me with the most exciting sounding tubes I've ever heard - the 10y, 71a, 26, 01a and so on. But these are real minority items, however good they sound. So what do I do with 60 of #30 tubes? Or 20 each of 1J6G, 1G4GT, 1624? If I advertise a tube list everyone asks for KT88 or EL34 which I simply don't have. If I mix them up it may work better - like four 71A combined with some 30, 1G4GT, 6BY5 and so on. Could work.

Schools are out for all the reasons given.

A word about location - yes, London is central and full of people, but they don't have workshops and garages. The guy who would appreciate a few boxes of tubes and parts to use at leisure is probably in a town or in the country. So that's another issue.

What would help is to sell off all the mostly-built projects which any competent DIY-er could turn into working amps and preamps in days. I'm at a loss for what to do there - they are full of good parts like teflon caps, Lundahl transformers etc. but are worth more than just taking off the transformers and selling them. They take up a lot of space. Ideas for those are very welcome.

Andy
Old 12th January 2012, 08:28 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
I would start from publishing pictures on forum.
Old 12th January 2012, 08:41 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Bidding-sites as Ebay are good
The price always get 100% right

Here on the worlds countryside (sweden), we dont see that much of those old DHTs. Buying from ebay, is a risk of having bad gods
But since you are a known name in the diy communities Andy a am sure a lot of people would bid with confidence.
At least I would keep an eye of some of those 10Ys and #26s
Best
Pix
Old 12th January 2012, 08:49 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I'll put some stuff on the swap meet forum. For some reason I didn't think you could post photos - thanks for pointing that out Wavebourn. That way people can see the built items. I use a modular chassis system which is really cool and I have several spare top plates with different sockets on them. I'll get my camera out and start snapping. Really good idea. This is coming together a bit.

andy
Old 12th January 2012, 08:54 PM   #20
Magz is offline Magz  United States
diyAudio Member

Say it ain't so, Andy!

Like you I switched to 2C22 from 6SN7 in my preamp. And just now I'm plotting how best to make another preamp with #26 tubes to use with the power supply from the 2C22 preamp - guess where THAT idea came from...

I take it you've settled on your optimal DHT preamp/amp configuration and are satisfied now. That's a good thing, I guess.

Hide this!Advertise here!