• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EL156 PP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ClassAB1 B+ is 600volts with 3500 anode to anode load for an output of 200watts....AB2 gives more power at 300watts...

I would love to play with that one as a triode; I'll bet it's a corker.

One ought to write a book about the final flowering of valve development in Europe and the US; personally whilst I think it's a good thing that old types are being manufactured in China, these late developments are much more exciting to me - as I say to everyone I was only ever in this for the valves themselves (though I am a music lover).

Now then I wonder if there are some nice late Soviet types still sitting in warehouses in Russia? They must have made stuff like this surely?

Paul

One ought to write a book about the final flowering of valve development in Europe and the US; personally whilst I think it's a good thing that old types are being manufactured in China, these late developments are much more exciting to me - as I say to everyone I was only ever in this for the valves themselves (though I am a music lover).

Now then I wonder if there are some nice late Soviet types still sitting in warehouses in Russia? They must have made stuff like this surely?

Paul

i have a quad of these tubes and i am looking for more, before i start doing something with them.....

i am sure the russians came up with something simmilar, maybe wavebourn can chime in to help us out.....:D

i have a quad of these tubes and i am looking for more, before i start doing something with them.....

i am sure the russians came up with something simmilar, maybe wavebourn can chime in to help us out.....:D

Perhaps he will!

I could kick myself for having sold off my YL1150s; I just looked at the data.

How about Ra of 134 ohms as a triode? Even a real-world Ra of say 200 ohms would mean a very good output transformer = for p-p 1k - 1.5k a-a would be fine and with 75W pa one might just have a very nice 40W triode output stage.

Paul

Perhaps he will!

I could kick myself for having sold off my YL1150s; I just looked at the data.

How about Ra of 134 ohms as a triode? Even a real-world Ra of say 200 ohms would mean a very good output transformer = for p-p 1k - 1.5k a-a would be fine and with 75W pa one might just have a very nice 40W triode output stage.

Paul

Ra is of 134 ohm is 6C33 like.....very easy to design and build opt's, i recently started a 6c33 set amp build, the opt was 600:6 ohms.....

And what happens when the price increases, or quantities are low? By the way, check out the G2 ratings. I would suggest sticking with something dependable and good, and who needs hundreds of watts.

Are you sure the tubes arcing was not a result of oscillations or no load (from open speaker coil/winding/connection), which would substantially raise the plate voltage?

Cheers.

Last edited:
And what happens when the price increases, or quantities are low? By the way, check out the G2 ratings. I would suggest sticking with something dependable and good, and who needs hundreds of watts.

Are you sure the tubes arcing was not a result of oscillations or no load (from open speaker coil/winding/connection), which would substantially raise the plate voltage?

Cheers.

Well a good example of this is 6146B. A nice little power valve with a screen grid limit of only 250V. Philips published a circuit diagram for a AB1 amplifier running the valves at 400V. ANd 807 is safe at 400V too,

13E1 is another: limited to 300V on g2 and with very high gm (35). I built an amplifier with these over ten years ago. Whilst developing, I tested a secondhand 13E1 as a triode at 500V and 200mA; it was fine.

However I DID have trouble with E55L as a triode; this one developed internal shorts in two new examples, bur I was running these as triodes only 25V over the maximum g2 limit!

Last edited:

Paul

Hi Paul,
there are lot of power transmitting/ radar modulator valves around. I live in north germany, and here at local radio rallies , some odds are selling such valves regulary for reasonable prices. Also accessories like top cap clamps and sockets.

I had just finished this project. I build two mono power amps, clones of the McIntosh MC-3500. They employ 8 pcs 6P45S line output valves , the russian counterpart of a EL519. The output power is 350W rms. See the attached pics. You will find more in the MC-3500 thread here at diyaudio. Link to the thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/139241-mcintosh-mc-3500-schematic-information.html

But one day I will make a beast like this:

EL6471 1kW Großverstärker (Type 102408)

Real amps have top caps!:D
Real amps are glowing in the dark!:D
Real amps need 3 phase power!:D

Wolfgang

Attachments

• top-view-1.JPG
    top-view-1.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 551
  • 3500-output-tubes-1.JPG
    3500-output-tubes-1.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 519
  • both-amps-side-by-side-2.JPG
    both-amps-side-by-side-2.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 513
Hi Paul,
there are lot of power transmitting/ radar modulator valves around. I live in north germany, and here at local radio rallies , some odds are selling such valves regulary for reasonable prices. Also accessories like top cap clamps and sockets.

I had just finished this project. I build two mono power amps, clones of the McIntosh MC-3500. They employ 8 pcs 6P45S line output valves , the russian counterpart of a EL519. The output power is 350W rms. See the attached pics. You will find more in the MC-3500 thread here at diyaudio. Link to the thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/139241-mcintosh-mc-3500-schematic-information.html

But one day I will make a beast like this:

EL6471 1kW Großverstärker (Type 102408)

Real amps have top caps!:D
Real amps are glowing in the dark!:D
Real amps need 3 phase power!:D

Looks excellent; well done.

Wolfgang

I suppose you must have seen this then?

A great delight for me to watch.

I agree with all you say; I love the industrial look!

Paul

Hi Paul,

do not build something with this neat little valve. Keep them as spare for existing devices, as these valves are rare and expensive.

Wolfgang

Sadly all sold years ago. I still have a few valves: 6158/13D3, 955, 6AW8A E282F, 6072.

One day I'll build something again...

Meanwhile I fear we are well off topic on this thread and it's partly my fault. But I know nothing about EL156!

P.

I suppose you must have seen this then?

Hi Paul,
thank you for the link! But I already see it before. Nice video.
I am at home at the moment due to a leg injury. So the doctor keep me at home for another couple of week.
The only thing I can do by now is treating my keyboard , and by this I found loads of interesting things in the world wide internet.

No way to work on amps or ham equipment. ...boring.

Wolfgang

Meanwhile I fear we are well off topic on this thread and it's partly my fault. But I know nothing about EL156!

Hi Paul,
you are right. We drifting apart from the main theme.

I hold an excellent pair of mono power amps made by telefunken the other day. These pairs were from a german brodcast studio. The model number were V214a , IRT number V101. The run on 850V plate and 350V on sceens in AB. The output were 100W rms. See schematic below! I sold these amps to finance my mc-3500 clones.

There are not many amps made which use the EL156. The valve is a special developement from telefunken by government order. especially the "Deutsche Bundesbahn" (german federal rail) are in need of a reliable long lasting output valve for their PA systems at the stations. These Amps are 24h/365 days in service . And the EL156 are made for such are kind of service.
Another wide spread application was the use of the valve as series regulator in power supplies, such as the Wandel & Golterman NE-171 or Grundig (Hartmann & Braun Stabilisiertes Netzgeraet 6007
Schematic:

The EL156 give its best performance with highest plate voltage possible. Triode mode is also allowed. A single EL156 give abt 15W in SE/ class A operation. The EL156 is only made by telefunken. You will maybe find some valve with the "Siemens" label. but siemens never madeit, they are also telefunken makes.
A pp- class A amp will give 30-35W. See the datasheet in a previous post! I´m luck to hold abt 25 pcs of the EL156 due to the steady rising prices of original types. Like the E55L I wuold not build anything with it. There are to many amps and power supplies around which need them to stay alive.

Wolfgang

Attachments

• V-214-1.pdf
    65 KB · Views: 273
  • V-214-2.pdf
    86.5 KB · Views: 168
  • V-214-3.pdf
    82.2 KB · Views: 159
Funker,

I read your MC3500 thread; I am very, very impressed by your work.

Paul

Hi Paul,
thank you very much. It took 3 years from planning until the finish. Even the the opts took a week to turn them.
And I´m proud of the result :)

They sound marvellous, it is like if the band play live in my home. You will hear music, not a speaker or an amp, just music.

But they are not energy saver.:( 800W at idle , 2kW at full blast.
(I got last week my annual electricity bill. :( )

Wolfgang

Well a good example of this is 6146B. A nice little power valve with a screen grid limit of only 250V. Philips published a circuit diagram for a AB1 amplifier running the valves at 400V. ANd 807 is safe at 400V too,

13E1 is another: limited to 300V on g2 and with very high gm (35). I built an amplifier with these over ten years ago. Whilst developing, I tested a secondhand 13E1 as a triode at 500V and 200mA; it was fine.

However I DID have trouble with E55L as a triode; this one developed internal shorts in two new examples, bur I was running these as triodes only 25V over the maximum g2 limit!

Hi Paul,

Good you have performed actual testing. Many don't so Kudo to you for such testing.
I worked with 6146s for years, but in the RF arena. For newbies, just be a little more careful of the screen grid dissipation as it is rather low compared to some other tubes. (Gm is the transconductance while Mu is voltage gain, ma constant. Mu is 35.)

For others, when the load is removed, such as a speaker, even for an instant, when in beam power, pentode, tetrode tube operation, high voltages can be generated in the opt, tube socket, tube pin base etc that can arc over. Triodes and even UL operation are usually much safer since the tube's Rp is much lower, thus loading, absorbing power, lowering the Q of the resonant circuit that can be formed.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Hi Paul,

Good you have performed actual testing. Many don't so Kudo to you for such testing.
I worked with 6146s for years, but in the RF arena. For newbies, just be a little more careful of the screen grid dissipation as it is rather low compared to some other tubes. (Gm is the transconductance while Mu is voltage gain, ma constant. Mu is 35.)

For others, when the load is removed, such as a speaker, even for an instant, when in beam power, pentode, tetrode tube operation, high voltages can be generated in the opt, tube socket, tube pin base etc that can arc over. Triodes and even UL operation are usually much safer since the tube's Rp is much lower, thus loading, absorbing power, lowering the Q of the resonant circuit that can be formed.

Cheers.

Thanks for that; yes, I enjoyed testing and evaluating valves - it's the valves I love!

You have given excellent advice I think.

Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.