EL156 PP - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th June 2012, 01:50 PM   #71
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Remember Polypaks, Utah drivers etc. Those days were cool.
I worked as the service tech at an Olson Electronics store in 1971 and 1972. All the Olson brand guitar speakers were rebranded Utah's. Good speakers. That store was next door to the University of Miami. Lots of money flowed through that store, yet they still managed to screw it up. Polypaks was a cheap solid state source in the mid 60's. There is one old timer here that remembers "no time to test em".
Old 4th June 2012, 02:51 PM   #72
diyAudio Member

Oh yes, PolyPaks was a place you ordered from and then tested each part after receiving the order. But it was a dozen for a buck or so.

Very early 60s as my brother ordered from Poly parts such as Ck722 transistors, germanium diodes etc. In 62-63 we finally ordered 2 Utah drivers and a Sony TC350 reel to reel (SS electronics) from Allied Electronics. Allied sent us two orders, so we called but they told us to keep both orders. Turned out one 350 had virtually no bass in both channels. I delved in and found the same electrolytic coupling capacitor in both channels was virtually open. Replaced and all was fine. Still have them.

Cheers.

Last edited by Positron; 4th June 2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 28th March 2013, 06:54 AM   #73
diyAudio Member

Default YL1071 Triode curves

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7N7 View Post
Yes a very exciting type I think.

I made triode curves for YL1071 (obviously with sections paralleled) but sadly never got round to do triode curves for YL1150.

It's a great shame that they are so rare and as you say, good-looking. The lash-up in the background was the prototype breadboard for an early iteration of the YL1071 project; the prototype used QQVO7-50s; I drove them with 6EW7s.

Paul

Paul
Would you mind sharing the trciode curves for the YL1071 if you still have them? I have a pair and would like to test them out as triodes.
Old 31st March 2013, 10:02 AM   #74
diyAudio Member

I was looking around the other day and noticed that chinese EL156B is recommended for 600V anode / 350V G2 by Shunguang. So it is in alignment with the earlier comments here.

They still look cool, if you want to avoid top caps. Oh well...
Old 31st March 2013, 01:45 PM   #75
Funker is offline Funker  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Quote:
I was looking around the other day and noticed that chinese EL156B is recommended for 600V anode / 350V G2 by Shunguang. So it is in alignment with the earlier comments here
An Tube such mentioned before is not a real EL156.

A real EL156..

..has a steel socket , the first digit in the european tube nomenclatur give information about the socket 1 = steel socket, 3 = octal socket 5 = magnoval and so on...

..withstands 800V plate voltage.Refer to the original Tfk data sheet:

http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f...28/e/EL156.pdf

..are able to turn 45W plate power into heat.

And finally , these fine tube is one of the made-to-last high reliable output tube in the world. The original Tfk has a specified mtbf of abt. 10000 operating hours. I own some of them which have already a runtime of 15000hrs on the clock and all their parameters are still in specs. What a tube!!

Wolfgang

So the china fire cracker may be what else but not an EL156.

Wolfgang
Old 31st March 2013, 03:28 PM   #76
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funker View Post
Hi,

An Tube such mentioned before is not a real EL156.

A real EL156..

..has a steel socket , the first digit in the european tube nomenclatur give information about the socket 1 = steel socket, 3 = octal socket 5 = magnoval and so on...
So they put a socket on it that people actually use.
The aim is to sell them. Since the vast majority of pentode amps out there have international octal sockets, I consider that a smart move.
There are octal '2A3' valves out there too.

Quote:
A real EL156..

..withstands 800V plate voltage.Refer to the original Tfk data sheet:

http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/frank/sheets/128/e/EL156.pdf
Drawback of the IO socket is the proximity of the anode pin to the heater pin. According to Mullard, the EL34 could handle 800V as well, but most sockets can not.

Quote:
A real EL156..

..are able to turn 50W plate power into heat.
Long time ago (end of the '90s I guess) I compared my high power octal based valves in the amp I used at that time. Turn up the current until there is a faint red glow on the anode in a dark room. Worst were the Russian 6550's/KT88's: more than 25W and most of them would be red. The Chinese ones arrived till 28-30W. My vintage RCA (Tung-Sol) 6550's came close to 35W, but slightly red still. These are not anode dissipations, but anode + g2.
The Valve Art KT100 (octal-EL156) I could NOT get to glow. My amp didn't give me more than about 100mA each @ 480V (PP-UL). Not bad.
In this specific amp, I found the sound more triode like than my reference, the RCA/TS 6550.
Old 31st March 2013, 03:45 PM   #77
el156 is offline el156  Portugal
diyAudio Member

I have 5 brand new NOS EL156 Real Telefunken in box , i bought them about 20 years ago, and waiting for me to do something with them. Didnt do an Amp yet because the high cost of the transformers, and i heard that this tubes can last for 50.000 hours or even more !!! maybe one of this days i put them for sale, i know i can get good money for the 5.
Old 31st March 2013, 03:53 PM   #78
diyAudio Member

i'm not gonna tell you how to run them...
class a or ab both sound awesome with tubes
if your running small stuff a
if your running bigger stuff ab
tube wattige is different so i don't know why you need ab to run them thats a lot of power
anyway just wanted to say when you build it try droping the voltige on the power supply
not as much power but at a 100% all the time they will burn out quick
run them at 50 or a 100 volts below they'll last a lot longer
just remember a tubes and light bulbs are the same in that reaspect
Old 31st March 2013, 04:46 PM   #79
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parafeed813 View Post
The Valve Art KT100 (octal-EL156)...
So you're saying the KT100 and the octal EL156 are the same tubes? Sorry, I can't follow you!

Best regards!
Old 31st March 2013, 06:09 PM   #80
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
So you're saying the KT100 and the octal EL156 are the same tubes? Sorry, I can't follow you!

Best regards!
Nope... Not the same tube...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EL156.jpg (41.5 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg m224646192.jpg (40.6 KB, 113 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!