EL156 PP - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th May 2012, 10:42 PM   #21
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

ClassAB1 B+ is 600volts with 3500 anode to anode load for an output of 200watts....AB2 gives more power at 300watts...
Old 28th May 2012, 10:50 PM   #22
7N7 is offline 7N7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
ClassAB1 B+ is 600volts with 3500 anode to anode load for an output of 200watts....AB2 gives more power at 300watts...
I would love to play with that one as a triode; I'll bet it's a corker.

One ought to write a book about the final flowering of valve development in Europe and the US; personally whilst I think it's a good thing that old types are being manufactured in China, these late developments are much more exciting to me - as I say to everyone I was only ever in this for the valves themselves (though I am a music lover).

Now then I wonder if there are some nice late Soviet types still sitting in warehouses in Russia? They must have made stuff like this surely?

Paul
Old 28th May 2012, 11:26 PM   #23
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7N7 View Post
I would love to play with that one as a triode; I'll bet it's a corker.

One ought to write a book about the final flowering of valve development in Europe and the US; personally whilst I think it's a good thing that old types are being manufactured in China, these late developments are much more exciting to me - as I say to everyone I was only ever in this for the valves themselves (though I am a music lover).

Now then I wonder if there are some nice late Soviet types still sitting in warehouses in Russia? They must have made stuff like this surely?

Paul
i have a quad of these tubes and i am looking for more, before i start doing something with them.....

i am sure the russians came up with something simmilar, maybe wavebourn can chime in to help us out.....
Old 28th May 2012, 11:32 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
i have a quad of these tubes and i am looking for more, before i start doing something with them.....

i am sure the russians came up with something simmilar, maybe wavebourn can chime in to help us out.....
Perhaps he will!

I could kick myself for having sold off my YL1150s; I just looked at the data.

How about Ra of 134 ohms as a triode? Even a real-world Ra of say 200 ohms would mean a very good output transformer = for p-p 1k - 1.5k a-a would be fine and with 75W pa one might just have a very nice 40W triode output stage.

Paul
Old 29th May 2012, 12:41 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by es345 View Post
... agreed...

Hans- Georg
Looks really rugged! Got schematic for it?

Jaz
Old 29th May 2012, 01:38 AM   #26
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7N7 View Post
Perhaps he will!

I could kick myself for having sold off my YL1150s; I just looked at the data.

How about Ra of 134 ohms as a triode? Even a real-world Ra of say 200 ohms would mean a very good output transformer = for p-p 1k - 1.5k a-a would be fine and with 75W pa one might just have a very nice 40W triode output stage.

Paul
Ra is of 134 ohm is 6C33 like.....very easy to design and build opt's, i recently started a 6c33 set amp build, the opt was 600:6 ohms.....
Old 29th May 2012, 04:00 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

And what happens when the price increases, or quantities are low? By the way, check out the G2 ratings. I would suggest sticking with something dependable and good, and who needs hundreds of watts.

Are you sure the tubes arcing was not a result of oscillations or no load (from open speaker coil/winding/connection), which would substantially raise the plate voltage?

Cheers.

Last edited by Positron; 29th May 2012 at 04:08 AM.
Old 29th May 2012, 05:12 AM   #28
diyAudio Moderator

prices are steep, U$125 on an ebay store....this tube can be a good candidate for screen grid drive imho....
Old 29th May 2012, 05:19 AM   #29
FLT is offline FLT
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazbo8 View Post
Looks really rugged! Got schematic for it?

Jaz
Look here:

Bass Power Amp with GU50

regards
Old 29th May 2012, 08:17 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positron View Post
And what happens when the price increases, or quantities are low? By the way, check out the G2 ratings. I would suggest sticking with something dependable and good, and who needs hundreds of watts.

Are you sure the tubes arcing was not a result of oscillations or no load (from open speaker coil/winding/connection), which would substantially raise the plate voltage?

Cheers.
Well a good example of this is 6146B. A nice little power valve with a screen grid limit of only 250V. Philips published a circuit diagram for a AB1 amplifier running the valves at 400V. ANd 807 is safe at 400V too,

13E1 is another: limited to 300V on g2 and with very high gm (35). I built an amplifier with these over ten years ago. Whilst developing, I tested a secondhand 13E1 as a triode at 500V and 200mA; it was fine.

However I DID have trouble with E55L as a triode; this one developed internal shorts in two new examples, bur I was running these as triodes only 25V over the maximum g2 limit!

Last edited by 7N7; 29th May 2012 at 08:19 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!