EL156 PP - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th May 2012, 10:35 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default re;EL156

Quote:
Originally Posted by multi View Post
Hi Tube747
I have just ordered some EL156 from China {octal socket}
Hope to use them as triodes at 470 volts. never used them before. I was worried 470 volts might be too high.
Phil
i will aslo recommend you to try 6GB8 a special hi-fi tube made by toshiba.
Old 26th May 2012, 10:37 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7N7 View Post
The one I like is Mullard YL1150: beam tetrode, 75W Pa, Mullard claimed 200W in AB1 running at 600V with G2 at 250V, THDF 2% Septar base and top cap - gold plated too.
Very cool tube, indeed! But I'm afraid they're scarce and expensive...
Old 26th May 2012, 10:41 AM   #13
Funker is offline Funker  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
Exactly my thoughts, Paul !

That's why I love TV sweep power tubes. Or original TELEFUNKEN EL156s with their G10A/Stahl 10 sockets and their plate pin located far apart from any other one. Or cheap, reliable, beefy (but ugly) all-glass socket GU50s and solid ceramic bases they're sitting on.

Best regards!
Hi,

The GU50 , the russian successor of the Telefunken LS50 is a exception. This valve is developed for military aircraft equipment. Especially as output stage in transmitters and radar modulators. The high densitiy packing in these kind of equipment must go a compromise. The Valve has an allglass bottom and the socket is made from ceramic/porcellane. The space of the plate pin has greater distance respectivly to the others. These measures avoid arcing due to plate transients . It is not such reliable like a top cap, but ways away from what an odinary octal base is.

By the way this valve is ideal in music amps due to their rugged construction.
Music amps see the same enormous stress like military equipment....

Wolfgang
Old 26th May 2012, 11:42 AM   #14
7N7 is offline 7N7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
Very cool tube, indeed! But I'm afraid they're scarce and expensive...
Here's a snap I made: left to right, QQVO3/20, YL1071, YL1150, YL1071, 832
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RF Selection.jpg (54.2 KB, 434 views)

Last edited by 7N7; 26th May 2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 26th May 2012, 08:50 PM   #15
es345 is offline es345  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
By the way this valve is ideal in music amps due to their rugged construction.
Music amps see the same enormous stress like military equipment....
... agreed...

Hans- Georg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bass Power Amp - nearly finished -.jpg (390.8 KB, 425 views)
Old 28th May 2012, 04:47 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Eastern Electric uses them in pentode, in their amps, and I have not heard of any problems. I personally run them UL at 450 volts and have for over a year. No problems but then I have them cherry picked and balanced.

The Telefunken machinery and parts (wires etc) were sold and used at the Chinese factory. I have tested the plate at 65 watts idle plate dissipation with no problems, no cherry plate. I have heard someone at AA claimed to have tested them at 75 watts plate dissipation with no problems. Can't verify this claim though.

I found the sound to be exceptional.

Cheers.
Old 28th May 2012, 12:37 PM   #17
Funker is offline Funker  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The one I like is Mullard YL1150: beam tetrode, 75W Pa, Mullard claimed 200W in AB1 running at 600V with G2 at 250V, THDF 2% Septar base and top cap - gold plated too. I had a pair and never used them. gm was 35 I'll bet it would have made a super triode.
I like the YL1150. With only 2 valves aiming amazing 200 Watts at moderate voltages. yeah.. and the valve looks good.

datasheet of the YL1150:

http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f...9/y/YL1150.pdf

Wolfgang
Old 28th May 2012, 06:23 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funker View Post
I like the YL1150. With only 2 valves aiming amazing 200 Watts at moderate voltages. yeah.. and the valve looks good.

datasheet of the YL1150:

http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f...9/y/YL1150.pdf

Wolfgang
Yes a very exciting type I think.

I made triode curves for YL1071 (obviously with sections paralleled) but sadly never got round to do triode curves for YL1150.

It's a great shame that they are so rare and as you say, good-looking. The lash-up in the background was the prototype breadboard for an early iteration of the YL1071 project; the prototype used QQVO7-50s; I drove them with 6EW7s.

Paul

Paul
Old 28th May 2012, 11:13 PM   #19
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
the Philips QE08-200 is even yummier, a pair can produce 300watts.....http://www.rell.com/filebase/en/src/...8_QE08_200.pdf

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by AJT; 28th May 2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 28th May 2012, 11:27 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
the Philips QE08-200 is even yummier, a pair can produce 300watts.....http://www.rell.com/filebase/en/src/...8_QE08_200.pdf

Click the image to open in full size.
That's quite interesting given that the data are relatively recent (1983), and I have always been fascinated by the very last generations of thermionic devices, However Philips does not give operating conditions for Class AB1 amplifier/modulator which suggests that this type may be more suitable for, SE Class A2 operation for audio - although I concede that the curves suggest that strapped as a triode it might be a goer. And maybe at that time such valves were not used as modulators.

Additionally the given figures for gm and mu (g1-g2) suggest a triode anode resistance as low as 633 ohms; if this is correct it should make a super triode provided it doesn't go pop when say 500V are applied in triode connection.

I have taken the liberty of assuming triode operation since I cannot do feedback calculations which means that I can never design for beam tetrodes!

And of course someone has already been there!

Paul

Last edited by 7N7; 28th May 2012 at 11:33 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!