• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Source follower in a DC-coupled pp amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to add MOSFET source followers between the phase splitter/driver LTP and the output tubes of my 2-stage DC-coupled 2A3 PP amp. I figured it with cathode followers, and it looked pretty easy to do. Here it is in a similar fashion, but with MOSFET's.

2A36N6PDC-coupledPPsource-follower010912_00.jpg

Did I do that right? I suspect there's more to it than that...

I figured on about 160V dropped across the current sinks below the FET's sources. About 20V drain to source. 10mA is enough?

--

Well... It's actually a push-pull OPT designed for EL84's in pentode. I'm just using the primary as a center-tapped choke, as the plate load for the 6N6P. I figure it has enough inductance for that use, and measurements bear that out. The amp passes pretty decent sine waves well below 20 Hz at 6 watts RMS out.

A purpose-designed split load choke like the Tango TC-160-15W would be better, I'm sure.

But I was hoping to hear from someone about using the MOSFET's that way...

--

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.