• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

High voltage driver for AB2 operation GU81m tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I tried to think of a resettable mecahnism.

Current limiting resistor is missing however r1 and r2 are part of the voltage divider. When voltage exceeds 4kv the divider will output above 300/350v. The cap to gnd will be charged and trigger the spark gap. It should also generate oscillation which the second cap will transfer to g1 of the thyratron permanently biased to -150v.

Coupling cap should be small and charging cap larger. I hope it makes sense :) this is my best shot. Thealternative is to use the thyratron in reverse.

Inviato dal mio ASUS Transformer Pad TF300TG con Tapatalk 2

IMG_20120912_140449.jpg

Inviato dal mio ASUS Transformer Pad TF300TG con Tapatalk 2

Well AFAIK Tantalum displays getter like properties natively and does not require any additional treatmont to perform this task. It can display an inverted process of gas emission when exceeds a specific temperature.

GU81m has a graphite anode and no getter so to speak. I seriously doubt any coating was applied to the thin grid wire. I am almost certain the anode performs this task.

In graphite anode tubes the effect is obtained (AFAIK) by way of coating the exposed surface with a thin layer of zirconium powder which, once heated, displays getter like properties.

I am positive that gu81m has no other means of maintaining hard vacuum except the activation of the anode plate coating.

Also the process I forced the gu81m to undergo was designed to cure the filaments of any occurence of cahode poisoning. Unfortunately the tubes were at times powered with no anode voltage. If the surface of the filaments was poisoned a high enough flow of electrons ought to have cured it.

I am pretty confident the gu81m can take 45secs of red plating and according to some sources this is even advisable for the reasons above.

Getter Materials

However I am not a tube engineer so if any of my statements are erroneous please tell me!

Attachments

• protection-1.JPG
    protection-1.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 382
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.