• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Is this EL84 kit from Germany worth fooling with?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• el84final.jpg
    el84final.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 672
Hi,
Well I wouldn't consider this as a kit. It's just the PCB as far as I see.
You don't need a PCB for such an "easy" amp. You can solder that point-to-point. That's the difference from a solid-state-amplifier where a good PCB layout is important.
Furthermore, this isn't even a good layout. The space between the left EL84 and the caps is way too small. When that baby gets its 12W at the anode, the caps will die pretty soon.
The schematic is nothing special and can be made by everyone with the slightest bit of theoretical knowledge. Not even feedback is applied which makes the pentode mode pretty useless.

Thanks manta.

The pcb with parts including tubes and transformer is available as a "kit" from a DIY supplier and there is a note in the description that negative feedback can be implimented by changing two resistor values.

I guess that the capacitor can be protected by some sort of a heat sheild.

Not looking for "special" just compitent in that there is nothing outrageously wrong as I really like the small size and have ideas for a compact integrated.

+1 again....

The SimpleSE was the first tube power amp I built and it still gets regular play in the rotation...for the following reasons I went with it...
1. Cost...you can go budget on this amp and have a nifty sounding amp
2. Support...plenty here
3. Relatively simple amp - low power so you will need highly efficient speakers - ideally something >90dB.
4. Excellent quality boards...I have soldered and unsoldered many different components and never have I lost a trace
5. Excellent intro into some of the theories of tube audio circuits.

BTW...Mine is relatively hotrodded now with nice coupling caps, KT90 power tubes, and big *** OPT's...it can almost rival my EL84PP amp and sounds better for most music I listen to.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.