• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Power booster

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found this on the Tubecad web page. By grounding the output and
taking the output from the center of the split power supply we get 6db
of gain. Say I took a 2a3 amp and used a 8 ohm load resistor and this
booster I could get about 12 W . Or if our transformer would support it
wire it as a 16 ohm load and then conect the booster for about 16W.

Attachments

• power%20boosters%202.png
    power%20boosters%202.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 256
Joined 2009
Paid Member
That circuit may work in the simulator, but you'll be faced with some engineering challenges to make it sound good. If your goal is to get semiconductor sound, I suggest looking at something like the LME49811 or LM3886. Those are fine power amps and will provide plenty of power. You could drive them with a tube preamp...

If your goal is to get a tube amp with > 10 W of power, then a single ended 2A3 won't do the job. I'm getting 12 W out of a 300B when driving it hard (use with current production 300B's not your $1k WE originals!) Another way could be to set up two 2A3's, 300B's, or whatever tube you fancy as a push-pull amp. That would give you power.

Or if you want a SET amp to rock your house off its foundation, get more efficient speakers.

~Tom

What about this configuration on tube lab using LM4780 to boost the output of a small SE tube amp?
Would it work as shown or it is simply a theoretical design that makes a nice blog?
Power Boosters

Ideally, I'd like to bring a 9W SE combo amp to 30-50W using this kind of design.

What's important to consider?
Any advices?

Thanks!!

Attachments

• Capture5.PNG
    Capture5.PNG
    77.1 KB · Views: 170
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.