What amp to build? Push Pull, SE? thoughts? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2012, 11:17 AM   #21
tipetu is offline tipetu  Norway
diyAudio Member

Hi, I`m thrilled with all the response. I have some cheap chinese ebay trannys. These :

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Thanks for the different schematics. the last one seemed nice!
Old 8th January 2012, 01:39 AM   #22
kmaier is offline kmaier  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scitizen17 View Post
No offense, but you all just go off on your own tangents all the time, don't you.

OP has EL84, 12AX7.

No mention of 12AT7, 45s, 4P1L, blah, blah, blah.

Please stick to the subject at hand.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/i...5StereoAmp.gif
Oh, very sorry... blah blah blah. Perhaps you should check your own posts and/or learn to cut/paste before critiquing other posts... but hey, no offense taken

Regards, KM
Old 8th January 2012, 01:54 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaier View Post
Oh, very sorry... blah blah blah. Perhaps you should check your own posts and/or learn to cut/paste before critiquing other posts... but hey, no offense taken

Regards, KM
I do regret very much that post. This forum is no place for nonsense like that. Must have been having a bad moment, but that's really no excuse. I do apologize to all involved. That was a cut/paste error but I did correct it.
Old 8th January 2012, 01:59 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
I do regret very much that post. This forum is no place for nonsense like that. Must have been having a bad moment, but that's really no excuse. I do apologize to all involved. That was a cut/paste error but I did correct it.
It's Ok.
We are still chatting a little bit waiting for an answer, which output transformers he has, in order to understand which amp, PP or SE, it is better to build using them.
Old 8th January 2012, 02:06 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Those who like SE know music and what it is supposed to sound like, those who like PP only care about loud and they obviously don't know music.
I like both so where does that leave me???????? The SE amps do favor detail and have a unique sound signature, and yes the 45 SE does sound the best, but a perfectly good SE amp can be built with EL84's. The P-P amps favor dynamics and yes, I can get real loud with 125 WPC and 96db speakers. Those who know music choose the right amp for the task at hand.

These debates are pointless because the OP has transformers that were designed for SE operation. They will not work for P-P, so that choice is made. There is no UL tap so it's either 2 watts in triode or maybe 5 watts in pentode. Look at the efficiency rating of your speakers and the type of music you play. If 2 watts will work for you, then build a triode amp. If not a pentode amp with some type of feedback will get you more power.
Old 8th January 2012, 12:53 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

hehe, with all do respect you may comment, suggest, or give me new ideas! I appreciate it.

As I said I have these OT`s : http://www.ebay.com/itm/260811685315...84.m1497.l2649

Output: 5W (20hz)
Silicone steel plate size: EI 66mm, Stack thinkness is 35mm
Material of silicone steel plate: New 35H360(H14) silicone steel
Frequency Response: 20Hz-40KHz,-3dB
Primary impedance: 5.5Kohm
Secondary impedance: 4 Ohm, 8Ohm
Primary copper impedance: 424Ω(B-P)
Inductance: 35H(40Hz,5Vrms, Testing equipment: HIOKI 3522-50 LCR Meter)
Max. current of primary: 60MA
Weight: 3KG
Old 8th January 2012, 02:39 PM   #27
kmaier is offline kmaier  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hey, no problem from my end... EL84 is a good tube... it was my first SE amplifier with a 6AU6 driver and 6BW4 rectifier, my Dad designed and built it for me when I was 7. I used it for 10+ years until the power transformer finally gave up the ghost.

Anyway, the OPTs he linked look reasonable overall... but a bit light on LF response. Could use it with a few different output tubes. But as they are an unknown mostly, some experimentation with feedback loops will likely get an acceptable performance.

Keep posting, keep smiling.

Regards, KM
Old 8th January 2012, 04:32 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Yeah, guess I`ll swap some cappies and resistors and see how it turns out! Looking forward to the build. Perhaps I`ll get to it this spring if I got the time. Thanks for the response.
Old 8th January 2012, 06:35 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipetu View Post
hehe, with all do respect you may comment, suggest, or give me new ideas! I appreciate it.

As I said I have these OT`s : eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Output: 5W (20hz)
Silicone steel plate size: EI 66mm, Stack thinkness is 35mm
Material of silicone steel plate: New 35H360(H14) silicone steel
Frequency Response: 20Hz-40KHz,-3dB
Primary impedance: 5.5Kohm
Secondary impedance: 4 Ohm, 8Ohm
Primary copper impedance: 424Ω(B-P)
Inductance: 35H(40Hz,5Vrms, Testing equipment: HIOKI 3522-50 LCR Meter)
Max. current of primary: 60MA
Weight: 3KG
They look like excellent transformers for biamped system: SE tube for mid-highs, and solid state for bass.
Old 8th January 2012, 07:09 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Fantastic! May I ask, what parameters are you looking at, and why? I`m a beginner regarding OT`s.

Thanks!

Hide this!Advertise here!