• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Broskie "Unbalancer" - transformer specifications

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm currently in the process of soldering Broskie's "Unbalancer" PCB:

http://www.tubecad.com/2011/11/25/Unbalancer 9-pin.pdf

On pages 13 and 18 he specifies what sort of secondaries are required for the transformers, however I am a little confused as to how I need to specify the windings to the transformer manufacturer (it is an r-core type).

The input tubes I am using are 5963 tubes, whilst the output tubes are 5965. Hence in both cases the closest recommendation as per the chart on page 13 of the manual is the 12AU7 - with a B+ of 240V. And an AC secondary of 330VAC. However on another page he specifies the following:

The power supplies require an external power transformer(s) with two secondary windings (120Vac to 260Vac and 6.3Vac to 12.6Vac).
Presumably he is assuming that the 330VAC is centre tapped?

The r-core manufacturer has asked for a specification in the following format:

Example

240VAC input

output
60 - 0 / 60 - 0 each 150ma = 300ma

6.3 - 0 / 6.3 - 0 each 1.5A = 3A

For the Unbalancer using 12.6v filament tubes - would this be the correct voltage specification?

240VAC input

outputs

330 - 0, 1 Amp (200mA for each tube)
12.6 - 0, 4 Amps (say, 1 amp per filament)

Anything between 200Vrms to 300Vrms, 50mA, is more than enough. Adjust R12 to suit.

(So you could use 200-0-200 up to 300-0-300, 50mA if you prefer centre-tapped transformers)

But i would need a high-V + low-V Glassware's PSU, isn't it? As newer Unbalancers no more include PSs...
Then transformer should have high-V + low-V secs. What voltages then, assuming i will use ECC802 input and 6CG7 output tubes?
If i choose a PS-15 PSU, that has 1x high-V and 2x low-V independent regulators, then i could use both low-V DC sources to power heaters at different voltages? Or i'll have to use just one anyway in 12.6V?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.