v1 tube keeps going microphonic help! 5e3 build - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd January 2012, 10:32 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

So you have another amp to try the tubes in. Are they microphonic in that amp? It might be a solder joint as been suggested if the tubes work in the other amp.
Old 4th January 2012, 04:19 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to fenderkid
no there micro . all joints are good . all new resistiors/caps . didnt heat any thing up in soldering .
i wounder if its b/c i using my pedals on the high input (ts9's) and its just to much for v1 . thanks for all your help guys .
Old 4th January 2012, 12:17 PM   #13
Trout is offline Trout  United States
diyAudio Member

In my experience, 5E3's are notorious for microphonic type issues.

You can even tap on the wires at V1 and hear it, heck even most capacitors in the first stage often display noise when tapped on.

Most brands of tubes regardless of NOS or current production will be sensitive to this and really, I would not worry a lot about it.
As long as you do not get any audible artifacts while playing, let it rip!

The only tube I have found that seems to tame this somewhat is the latest TAD 7025 low noise edition. Still microphonic, just not nearly as bad as the others.

Now if the tube is causing the amp to squeal, its no longer suitable.
Old 4th January 2012, 12:43 PM   #14
GloBug is offline GloBug  Canada
Banned

I agree, I also had a 5E3 clone that would make a noise if you tapped on the tube, yet was not an actual problem.
Old 4th January 2012, 01:26 PM   #15
Trout is offline Trout  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloBug View Post
I agree, I also had a 5E3 clone that would make a noise if you tapped on the tube, yet was not an actual problem.

I just serviced a Fender Re-Issue last week, it was also very sensitive to the slightest tap anywhere near V1. It is just the nature of the beast in this case.

That said, it was a real sweet sounding amp, almost as good as my 5 year old personal amp.

Edit,

I might add that leaving the tube covers off can help as well, I found them to be the source of some noise/tingly sound due to them fitting to closely on some tubes.

Last edited by Trout; 4th January 2012 at 01:28 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!