VTVM troubleshooting help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I acquired a Precise 909 VTVM and i am in the process of refurbishing it. I have not been able to find a schematic but i am following the concept from other similar units, like Eico and Knight. I changed all the paper caps and the electrolytic in the power supply.

I have two issues.

ac:

I can do the calibration adjustments of ac balance (6al5) and the ac cal using a 1 k signal. The problem is that the frequency response is not flat, it progressively drops with higher frequencies. I am interested in the audio range. The replacement caps around the 6al5 rectifier are .01uf.

Ohms:

I replaced the D battery with a common D alkaline. With the battery installed i cant adjust the ohms pot to full scale on the meter. I think all the metal in the battery must be inducing something in the circuit. If i take the battery off and connect an external 1.5v supply (to the same battery leads) it works fine.

Any ideas? resolving the frequency reponse problem is my primary target .

Alfredo

I compared the circuit today and found a difference in the value of R9. Mine was 1.3M while the schematic calls for 820K. I changed it and there is an improvement in the frequency response. It is still not flat. I guess this VTVM was not designed for a flat response of the audio frequencies. I am getting -1.5db at 20Khz. My Simpson 260 is flat past 20K. Luckily I only spent $10, it may still have its uses for High Voltages.

I did notice that if I bypass R9 that I get a flat response past 20K, but by bypassing it I limit the AC usage to less that 100 volts as anything higher will damage the 6al5 rectifier.

Jebem, thanks again.

Alfredo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.