• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Vote NOW for a globe TJ meshplate 45.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Historically the ST-shape was introduced to allow for a (better?) easier tight fit of the tube structure.

The narrow end being designed to clamp the top structure around its edges potentially reducing microphony and / or prolonging tubelife thanks to a better mechanical integration.

I think that in the case of the new 45 the issue is more one of marketing rather than whichever way is better since it should be perfectly feasable to manufacture both models with just the esthetic difference and nothing else, IMHO.

If there's a supposed advantage in using the classic old balloon shape then I'd like to hear about it, it could be interesting.

Cheers,;)

fdegrove said:
Hi,

Historically the ST-shape was introduced to allow for a (better?) easier tight fit of the tube structure.

If there's a supposed advantage in using the classic old balloon shape then I'd like to hear about it, it could be interesting.

Cheers,;)

exactly, in the new manufacture tubes both have the top tethers to the envelope... so its purely aesthetic, its sad how aesthetics can improve the sound.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.