Jadis Defy 7 Help! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2003, 07:10 PM   #1
Apogee is offline Apogee  United States
diyAudio Member

Question Jadis Defy 7 Help!

(I've also posted this on Tube Asylum because I need all the help I can get... Thanks!)

Greetings:

I recently purchased a Jadis Defy 7 that was damaged. This is my first tube amp so please forgive the newby questions...

Thank you to those who have responded to my earlier post regarding recommended tubes... I have decided to go for matched sextets of GE 6550's from Jim McShane...

At the risk of asking too many questions, I have a few more that I hope those in the forum will help with...

1. Does anyone have a schematic for the Defy 7 that they'd be willing to share? I am very curious of the changes that were made between the versions. I don't know which version that I have - the serial number is 275... I've contacted NorthStar and Jadis and thus far, no response from either... I'd like to take mine to the MK 4 level while it's apart if possible but I need a schematic to see what changes were made...

2. I have to replace two of the eight 100uf 450v electrolytics that are located on the main circuit board due to damage. I am considering replacing all eight with Solens unless someone has a better recommendation. They are pretty expensive so if there is a decent sounding substitute I'm very open to suggestions... If suggesting something different, please also state where they can be purchased if possible... They are axial mount caps...

3. When the new tubes are installed I will need to bias the unit. There are four bias pots on the circuit board. It appears that each pot controls the bias for 3 tubes. Would someone be willing to share the proceedure for biasing this amp? Also, the recommended bias current? And lastly, where to measure the current?

4. I am going to replace eight 100K resistors on the main pcb while its apart because they are discolored from heat. All still measure to spec but they have been very hot by the look of them. They look to me to be 3 watt carbon resistors with standard color coding. I don't know the brand. I am considering using Mills 5 watt units as replacements because I don't want to risk having one (or more) of them fail. Any recommendations on the brand and model of resistor to use for the best sound?

I have done tech work on solid state stuff for years so I'm very comfortable with the work that needs to be done. That having been said, as I mentioned above, this is my first tube amp so any help/wisdom is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any info that you're willing to share.
Old 16th September 2003, 09:02 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

http://www.pi.infn.it/~federico/Immagini/jadis.zip
Old 16th September 2003, 09:12 PM   #3
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Apogee,

Do you have the software necessary to either print postscript files or to convert them to PDF format?

If you don't, I can e-mail you the PDF files, you'll need Acrobat Reader which is available for free at http://www.adobe.com

BTW, you really owe it to yourself to try the Tung-sol 6550s on that Jadis; nothing else comes close.

Oh, I do recommend BGs for the PS, they're absolutely stunning.

Cheers,
Old 16th September 2003, 09:22 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Oh, I do recommend BGs for the PS, they're absolutely stunning.
Changed your religion, Frank ?
Old 16th September 2003, 09:38 PM   #5
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
Changed your religion, Frank ?
No, never had any regarding BG caps...

Just some safety issues with some unfortunate dutchies who seemed to have forgotten that they need to do the maths right...and not blame their 300Bs or the BGs for the misfortune.

Seriously though, a friend of mine modded his Mac 240 with some BGs in the PS and as I know that class B amp pretty well I was smitten with the results...

We're considering modding his brother's Jadis DA 30 as well, an amp that would really benefit from some extra top-end BTW.

As we speak I was browsing Partsconnexion's site to place a cute little order on BGs to go into my OTL amps.
That's how religious I am....

I'll give it to you; these caps are absolutely incredible!!!

Oh, and if you want to check it out look at what caps I specced in the PS for Burnedfinger's preamp here:

PREAMP

Post # 20 shows the PS.

He probably hasn't realised yet it's going to cost him big time...

Ciao,
Old 16th September 2003, 09:42 PM   #6

Did you know there's a dutchman selling BG for better prices ?

Check www.triodedick.com for details on the seller. Ordered several times from him and service is OK.

Edit: I just saw the seller R.Steenbeek is not mentioned anymore. I'll ask Mr.Steenbeek if it is OK to publish his mailadress here.
Old 16th September 2003, 09:54 PM   #7
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Who doesn't know Triodedick?

Thanks, J-P.

I'll see if he's got the values I want.

BTW, while I get you're attention and we're talking caps; do you know that Jadis is using the excellent and cheap ICEL caps for interstage coupling?

RS Components carries the HV range and their really not expensive at all and the best non-boutique caps I know of bar the unobtainable PTFE and PolySulfone (?) Eurofarads.

The Relcaps, MIT polystyrenes are better still but you'd pay ten times more for the same value.

Cheers,
Old 16th September 2003, 10:04 PM   #8

Quote:
BTW, while I get you're attention and we're talking caps; do you know that Jadis is using the excellent and cheap ICEL caps for interstage coupling?
I know ICEL but I don't have them anymore and I don't remember which series they were. They sure were good ( yellow 400 V types axial MKP ).

BTW Triodedick is not the seller ! The seller was mentioned at his sites "mededelingenbord" but seems to be removed. Please send me a private mail for details.
Old 16th September 2003, 10:13 PM   #9
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
BTW Triodedick is not the seller !
I know, TriodeNL you mean?

Cheers,
Old 16th September 2003, 10:15 PM   #10

No.

Hide this!Advertise here!