• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Clone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've worked on the original and the Audio Marginal clone as well. Schematics are available on the net.. (Do not post them here without the author's permission!)

Given the very high voltages present I recommend you read the thread on safety, and I am assuming that you are not a total newbie..

I recently completed my own GM70 design and at plate voltages of 1kV and above there are interesting issues relating to corona discharge, insulation, capacitor sourcing, etc..

The Ongaku design is now over 20yrs old and not quite cutting edge in the high voltage tube world, but it is a good sounding design IMHO.. The tube bridge rectifier is quaint, but probably more trouble than it is worth. I'd use a hybrid bridge or go solid state..

kevinkr,
I am not a total newbie. However where do i go after i get the schematic in terms for parts list etc. needed.
Also the GM70 do you have anything posted on this amp? what do you consider cutting edge in the high volt tube world at this time?

Thanks again

Hi reteP2k,
Any single End Class A1 or A2 amplifier based on a 211 tube will give wonderful sound if properly engineered.
Mine works nicely, finnshed in late 90's from my own design, gives no hum at all, fantastic clean bass. mid and highs on my Castle Chester loudspeakers (87bD per Watt).

You may have a look at my site at (sorry, it is in Portuguese, but you may use Google translator):
Diagramas e detalhes adicionais - Suna

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.