Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

How do I calculate (or measure) my amp's output impedance?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2003, 01:40 PM   #1
Saurav is offline Saurav
diyAudio Member

Default How do I calculate (or measure) my amp's output impedance?

Not much more to add here. I guess I could measure it by putting different load resistors on and seeing how much the output dropped, and then figuring out the output resistance (assuming a simple model with a perfect voltage generator and a series resistor, ignoring frequency-related effects). There must be some way to calculate it too though, right? Does anyone have a ready-made formula for this? The output stage is a SE 2A3, cathode biased (and bypassed), through an OPT.

Thanks,
Saurav
Old 16th September 2003, 01:47 PM   #2
Colt45 is offline Colt45  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Colt45
find out what operating point the 2A3 is running at, and then the impedance ratio of the OPT..
Old 16th September 2003, 02:02 PM   #3
Saurav is offline Saurav
diyAudio Member

So the output impedance will get divided by the square of the turns ratio, just like the load does. My OPT is 2500:8, which is a ratio of 312.5, so my 2A3's output impedance will also be divided by 312.5. Is that correct?

Then, how do I calculate the output impedance from the operating point? Let's say I'm at the 'classic' 250V/60mA operating point (I'm not, but I haven't measured it since my latest changes, beyond making sure none of the voltages were too high) - how do I calculate the output impedance from that? Is it just the slope of the plate curve at the operating point?
Old 16th September 2003, 03:08 PM   #4
SY is offline SY  United States
On Hiatus

Default Re: How do I calculate (or measure) my amp's output impedance?

Quote:
Originally posted by Saurav
Not much more to add here. I guess I could measure it by putting different load resistors on and seeing how much the output dropped, and then figuring out the output resistance (assuming a simple model with a perfect voltage generator and a series resistor, ignoring frequency-related effects). There must be some way to calculate it too though, right? Does anyone have a ready-made formula for this? The output stage is a SE 2A3, cathode biased (and bypassed), through an OPT.
Calculating it is useful in the design phase. Once you've got an amp on hand, it's easier and better to actually measure it. Your inclination is correct, just switch from an 8 ohm to a 4 ohm load resistor (on the same xfrmer secondary tap) and see the voltage drop.

The frequency variation of source Z is an interesting and useful thing to know, too, and is trivial to get. The simpler formulas won't be accurate for that.
Old 16th September 2003, 03:30 PM   #5
Saurav is offline Saurav
diyAudio Member

OK, that should be pretty easy to do. Just for curiosity's sake though, how would I go about calculating it?
Old 16th September 2003, 03:34 PM   #6
SY is offline SY  United States
On Hiatus

As Colt says, determine the source impedance of your output tubes and divide it by the turns ratio. That will be rather inaccurate.
Old 16th September 2003, 03:42 PM   #7
Saurav is offline Saurav
diyAudio Member

Thanks.
Old 16th September 2003, 05:26 PM   #8
Sch3mat1c is offline Sch3mat1c  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
Yeah. Zo is plate resistance in parallel with any other resistance (for instance if you used a resistance-coupled stage, but obviously that doesn't apply here).
Typical Rp for 2A3 is what, 800 ohms? Zo should be around 3 ohms then (don't forget to add in the resistance of the OPT).

Tim
Old 16th September 2003, 05:41 PM   #9
ashok is offline ashok
diyAudio Member

Default Measuring Zout.

Take a signal generator and add a series resistor to its output so that Z out of generator plus external resistance is 1k ohm. Set the voltage to 1 volts rms ( say 1 KHz) . You now get a current source of 1mA.
Connect the free end to your 8 ohm load which is connected to the OPT. Measure the voltage across the 8 ohm load . It will be in mV. So if you get 0.3mV the output impedance with 8 ohms parallel with it is 0.3mV/1mA = 0.3 ohms.
It is not absolutely correct but pretty close. The actual output impedance will be = (8x0.3)/(8-0.3) = 0.3117 ohm.
You should try this at other frequencies also.
Note : Do not connect any input signal to the amp ! It is best to short the input / plug in a 600 ohm load / turn the volume down to zero etc. but " no input signal".
The signal generator and the mvMeter can be obtained free on the web as software used in conjunction with your sound card.
Try www.dazyweblabs.com and www.rightmark.com amongst others.
Cheers.
Old 16th September 2003, 05:41 PM   #10
Saurav is offline Saurav
diyAudio Member

> don't forget to add in the resistance of the OPT

That would be the DCR of the secondary winding?

How do I calculate (or measure) my amp's output impedance?Hide this!Advertise here!