Help on transformers please - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th December 2011, 01:18 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
The photobucket link doesn't work.......
Please try again,
http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/v...DSC_0057-1.jpg

Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 01:26 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

boywonder: You were very helpful with this one. Like the glasses.
Old 30th December 2011, 01:40 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgkho249 View Post
No idea on that one....perhaps a google search. Is it from a solid state amp/preamp?

Thanks Troncones! Please feel free to chime in with suggestions......
Old 30th December 2011, 02:47 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

My suggestion would be keep them. Once you go down the path of DIY tube audio there's no such thing as having too much iron on hand.
Old 8th April 2013, 02:54 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
No idea on that one....perhaps a google search. Is it from a solid state amp/preamp?

Thanks Troncones! Please feel free to chime in with suggestions......

Hello boywonder,
Sorry to bring up an old post. i am intending to build a SET poweramp with 2x el3n/ 2x 6j5gt/ ez81 rectifier tube. PT parmeko 350-0-350 CT 0.18amp filement 6.3v 0.5amp. rectifier 5v 3amp, parmeko chock 10H 180mamp.

question is will the amperage be enough for all the tubes, also can i use the rectifier tap of 5v 3amp to run on the ez81.

attach a schematice
Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks in advance....
Please be paitent with me as this is the first tube amp im building
Old 8th April 2013, 09:05 AM   #16
45 is offline 45  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgkho249 View Post
i am intending to build a SET poweramp with 2x el3n/ 2x 6j5gt/ ez81 rectifier tube. PT parmeko 350-0-350 CT 0.18amp filement 6.3v 0.5amp. rectifier 5v 3amp, parmeko chock 10H 180mamp.

question is will the amperage be enough for all the tubes, also can i use the rectifier tap of 5v 3amp to run on the ez81.

Thanks in advance....
Please be paitent with me as this is the first tube amp im building
The amperage will be not enough for powering all filaments. You could use a bridge rectifier for the 5V secondary and use it to supply the EL3n filaments. The 6.3V/0.5A could be stretched to power 6J5's however it would be a bit bizzarre using AC for signal tubes and DC for output tubes. Still you would need 6.3 1A for the EZ81. Older types like EZ40 and EZ41 (very similar to EZ80 and 90) were specified with both AC and DC filament supply. However I have never seen this for EZ81.
Old 8th April 2013, 02:31 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

You could always use a separate 6.3V filament transformer......

Any particular reason for this circuit?

Your output transformer is PP, this is SE; I imagine that you are planning on buying SE output transformers?

Do you already have EL3n's? Those tubes look like they need some crazy sockets.....

Last edited by boywonder; 8th April 2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 8th April 2013, 02:56 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ok thanks, 6.3v how much amperage should I go for so that it will have enough current to run 2x el3n and 2x 6j5 and rough guide on the price please.

Really have no ideal but I heard these el3n over at a friends place and I like it. So I thought with the iron I have I could try and build a set amp. Almost done with all the items I needed for these project. And realize that the amperage is only 0.5a not enough to provide for the 4 tubes.
As for the rectifier 5v 3a tap can I use a ez81? I have actually order.a.hytron 6004 and its in the way. Not much info though for the 6004 but its similar to a 5y3 im I right?

Your output transformer is PP, this is SE; I imagine that you are planning on buying SE output transformers?
I have a pair of 7k klangfilm just nice for the el3n

Do you already have EL3n's?
Yes I have 4pcs of them through a friends.

Hope to have more.infomation before I start doing it....

Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 04:45 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ok thanks, 6.3v how much amperage should I go for so that it will have enough current to run 2x el3n and 2x 6j5 and rough guide on the price please.

Really have no ideal but I heard these el3n over at a friends place and I like it. So I thought with the iron I have I could try and build a set amp. Almost done with all the items I needed for these project. And realize that the amperage is only 0.5a not enough to provide for the 4 tubes.
As for the rectifier 5v 3a tap can I use a ez81? I have actually order.a.hytron 6004 and its in the way. Not much info though for the 6004 but its similar to a 5y3 im I right?

I have a pair of 7k klangfilm just nice for the el3n

Do you already have EL3n's?
Yes I have 4pcs of them through a friends.

Hope to have more.infomation before I start doing it....

Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!