• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

300B alternatives

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Chinese 300B are cheap and usually are reliable.
Using other non-300B tubes is risky if you don't modify the operating point (bias) to the correct value. Also the output transformer impedance is designed for a specific tube in mind, so go changing the tube type without changing the transformer is not a good idea.

However, one closest tube that sounds better than a 300B to my ears is the 2A3, but it just gives 3Watt maximum in Single End mode against the 8Watt of a 300B.
Also, one needs to pay attention to the maximum anode voltage and power dissipation as well...

Well, speaking with a friend of mine and after reading your posts I've understood, at least, that it is very critical to subsitute 300B with different tubes, expecially for me that I'm not an expert in electronic.

Remaining in 300B world, there are lots of these tubes at very different prices. Consider that I listen to Jazz and classic music using Lowther Acousta self made cabinets. Have you any suggestion on brands that offer high quality at not so high price? I've seen JJ-Tesla and Shuguang at quite reasonable price.

Bye

Ziocalepino

I don't know if in Italy it is possible to find already tested and burned, anyway thanks for tip. JJ cost more or less 220 euros per matched pair, an affordable proce. Shuguang can cost two times. Then there are russian 300B and many chinese but I'll prefer to stay on known brands,

JJ are great (I have a pair running fine on my amp) but they have a high price.

Russian Sovtek are great and very close in sound and electrical behavior to the famous WE300B, at a much lower price thanthe WE's.

Chinese Shuguang are ok but usually it are not as linear or powerfull as JJ or Sovteks; they used to sell for a low price in the past, but apparently it is raising nowadays.

Hi,

Hi, I'm a newbie on Tube amplifiers. I've bought a Dared MP30 B single end one with 300B as tubes. Is it possible to try other kind of tubes on this amplifier?

The 300B has several makers, you can change between these, but if you want to use other output tubes this is not possible.

The driver tube is the Chinese version of the 2C51/WE396A/5670 and is also available as 6N3 (written 6H3 on the tube, as the cyrillic "N" looks a lot like a Latin "H"). These can all be freely exchanged.

The magic eye tube has no effect on sound quality.

One additional note, based on personal experience with a number of chinese (including your brand) Amplifiers, make sure you have the Amplifier thoroughly inspected and tested for electrical safety, as otherwise you risk electrocution, quite possibly of members of your family.

Ciao T

Well Thorsten, you have answered to my not yet formulated secon question, the substitution of 6N3. If I've well understood it is possible to change them with 2C51 or 5670, and I'll go to do this if I'll be able to find them.

Being you an expert on Dared brand I would like to ask if you have heard VP-845 model. Dared Italy advice me against this model saying that in their opinion MP 30B sounds better... I've not understood this advice but it seems me impossible that an 845 tubes sounds worst... Any opinion on this?

Hi,

Being you an expert on Dared brand I would like to ask if you have heard VP-845 model. Dared Italy advice me against this model saying that in their opinion MP 30B sounds better... I've not understood this advice but it seems me impossible that an 845 tubes sounds worst... Any opinion on this?

I'm no expert on dared, however a UK distributor I was working with in a technical capability wanted to import dared, but decided against it following getting some samples.

In comparison between 845 and 300B I would agree that the 845 is not very good sounding, but it can provide power to drive speakers the 300B cannot and one of course needs to also consider the rest of the circuit.

In the end it is much about correctly matching amplifier and speakers.

IF (big if) we can keep all other facts reasonably equal I like the 845 for bass and or Lower midrange in multi-amplified systems but not full range.

The 211 and 300B are the best "all round" tubes operated full range if we can have speakers with > 93dB/W/m real efficiency. If we can select speakers with higher efficiency we can consider 2A3 or 50 and with very high efficiency speakers the two I consider the co-equal queens of directly heated tubes, 10Y and 45.

Then again, building a multi0way system with 845 Bass (say 15"), 300B lower Midrange (say 8"), 45 upper Midrange (say 2"compression driver & horn) and 10Y Treble (say a bullet supertweeter) can make the best out of each tubes relative strenth...

Ciao T

What you say is confirming italian Dared seller. In his opinion 845 "sit" with certain speakers. I'm using Lowther PM6C in Acousta cabinets and the couple PM6C / C45 in Accolade cabinets. Efficiency is high (even if not VERY high) but the 10W of MP 30B are more than enough. I never use more than one half the maximum of volume. So the use of 845 is a curiosity, an EXPENSIVE curiosity, but I hope to be able to find somebody having an amplifier with these tubes to invete in my home. Anyway, before spending thousands euros in a new amplifer I'll try before to change original tubes in the one I have, both 6N3 and 300B, with more prestigious tubes. I have to say that the complete chain Marantz CD63 KIS + dared MP 30B + Lowther PM6C on Acousta + Xindax cable are very good for me. Maybe only changing tubes I can obtain much more.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.