• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Anybody using a tube amp in their car?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It isn't 1950 any more. A tube amp is large and hot so where would you put it?
Would it void your insurance? What would happen in the event of an accident? Broken hot glass isn't much fun. If you can't see it, then what is the point?

Ironically, you are suggesting the use of very modern technology to attempt to resurrect a very old one. My question is: why?

Absolutely, Dad had one in his 1948 Chevy Business Coupe. As I recall it ran from a 6VDC power supply and took about 45 seconds to come alive after the power was turned on. Older Brother & I would enjoy the sounds sitting on our wooden stools in the back (no back seat in a Business Coupe)...often fell over sideways in the turns!

Hey that's a good read.

As far as where I would put it, I have lot's of room in my old Porsche.

I will be putting a system of sort's in there this spring, so I thought what the heck.

Attachments

• 944.JPG
    944.JPG
    279.7 KB · Views: 1,028
One's going in my 51 Flxible bus along with a Tascam 42 r-r. Haven't built it up yet sorry. Try a search on Billy Gibbons fitting his girlfriends car out with one, not sure what you'll find but I read about it years ago. Makes for more fun than 2000 watt 35" sub that's hitting now. Oh yeah....

I live in the Cotswolds (which is not renound for the quality of it's roads) and, until recently had a stereo class A amp in the car, using a bespoke inverter and 1625 tubes (807's with different basing and heaters). They were mounted horizontally in something I can only describe as a spring loaded hammock. It worked well, and turned heads. It was in the boot.I must resurrect it. I'm loving the idea of a dynamotor!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.