• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Making a Kron tube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Ok, for each specific case, please be exact and precise as to what is completely wrong.

I'll second that as I watched that segment and I thought it was pretty good, and the description of each step of the process seemed OK to me.

Some of the subjective comments at the beginning I thought were a bit simplistic/questionable, otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed the piece. If ilimzn is talking about the intro I might be inclined to agree..

"[tubes] come in an array of models performing various sound enhancing tasks" (transmitter tubes shown, 'enhancing' vs. amplification?! and tubes do not amplify sounds, rather signals, see below.)

"The anode's top secret balck coating increases the effect of the electrons hitting it, causing the anode and cathode to have two different voltages, both of which are greater than that of the original signal. This makes the signal larger and more powerful, meaning it amplifies the sound."
(This is REALLY hard to even comment on. Load of rubish which could just as well have been replaced with an even more concise and accurate description, especially because the description up to that point was accurate. If anything the top secret black coating DEcreases the effect of electrons hitting the anode, and none of that causes two different voltages, etc. Not to mention that the 'top secret black coating' did not have to be mentioned at all but the journalist included it for 'wow' effect thereby completely compromising the description of how the tube works. It would have been better if no explanation was given at all.)

"The [vacuum] pump then extracts the air through the port. At the same time they heat the tube in a pull-down oven. This increases pressure inside the tube creating a stronger vacuum."
(How can increased pressure mean a better vacuum?! Why did it simply not say, it releases gases and other impurities trapped in the various parts of the tube so the pump can take them out with the air creating a better vacuum - just like it accurately describes the next similar step of running an induction heater over the tube while it's being evacuated. Were the writers paid by the number of words in the script?).

"They target the stem area with a second inductive heater to draw particles called ions onto the glass permanently, so that they can't later damage the tube"
(This was about getter firing - completely inaccurate and misleading, especially given what is shown on the screen, getter rings firing and depositing the getter onto the glass - why put 'things with ions' in if you need to 'take ions out of them onto the glass so they can't damage the tube' - why not simply say, to deposit a compound onto the glass permanently, that catches any remaining gas ions during the lifetime of the tube, preventing them from degrading tube performance)

"[Tube pairs are selected] This insures they will amplify sound evenly"
(To a complete layman, this must be very confusing since tubes do not make sound. The point being, tubes amplify electrical signals, not sounds. Easy to establish in the first few sentences of the clip.)

This is very typical of modern journalism where a journalist will ask an expert to write up something, that they do not even try to understand, then go shortening it to fit available time or word count constraints, and since they have no clue what it is about, the re-writing completely screws up the context resulting in gibberish. OK, maybe if this was some 6 o'clock news sensation, but no - this is supposed to be 'educational'. What is better, omitting information, or peddling some nonsense as information?

Don't get me wrong, it's a very nicely made piece of film, with all key steps shown, but the narrator would have done a better job by shutting up in some places.

.....well at least they don't have that fruit figure skater Mark Tweeksbury hosting it any more lol.

The original show is a Canadian production based out of Quebec I think. The show is repackaged for other markets, and different narrators added. So you add in some possible translation issues. French sentences are back to front you could say at times.

The average person would not not what they were talking about anyways, so it`s simplified to say the tube produces sound rather then trying to cram a EE primer into a 4 minute clip. I mean most of us talk about how a tube sounds, and apply sound attributes to them. Heck we even add taste and texture to them. lol.

Whenever I hear someone talk about creamy smooth liquid mids, I feel like a cold glass off rootbeer.

The main thing is it was a cool video clip of "How it's made" not "Why it works", although that would also be a good show...

As far as the the pull down oven adding pressure remember at least part of the tube will be soft molten glass during the final seal-up. If you thought of the tube as a balloon, you could see that raising the atmospheric pressure would compress the balloon even further, it would "load" the glass with pressure. When the tube is cooled and brought into ambient pressure the glass will be less compressed there for having a little more expanding tension, or be "slightly bigger balloon" effectively pulling more vacuum inside the tube.

Weather or not a tube produces sound is a philosophical, one could argue that without a tube you would have no sound. The same could be applied to other devices like speakers etc.

So context errors aside, I thought it was cool to see how that shiny spot get's applied to the glass, whatever you wanna call it.

It was neat to see them forming the glass as well.
I have seen the other video where the french guy hand makes the tubes, this one is good because it shoes a little more commercial industrial setup, resembling how they made typical tubes in the day.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.