• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

AY Symphonies preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi all,

I got this preamp from ebay, already modified with better caps, just had some hum. I got rid of the hum. Now I have it open, so I was thinking, what else can I modify before I put it back in and close it?
Can I completely remove first cap?
Thanks!

Attachments

• ysa-preamp.jpg
    ysa-preamp.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 376
Have you tried other 12AX7 tubes in it? These units came with EI 12AX7's. I noticed a marked difference when I changed the tubes to some NOS GE's.

I have the power supply schematic on my computer somewhere but it is missing the power supply voltages which would be nice in analyzing the circuit further.

Interesting circuit. Current feedback over 3 stages ! (Keep in mind that this increases output resistance)
But why is R5 only 100k ? Because C2 is so large, V1's load is only 100k||330k. Which produces much more distortion. But maybe that's the reason for the good sound.
And what are R12 and C3 for ?

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It has Tung-Sol 12AX7s in it...
I have some Electro-Harmonix, new
and some old Magnavoxes and DuMont
I have not done much tube swapping so far because of little hum. Now I got rid of that, so I can do some more listening. But the preamp is not assembled now. I was wondering while I have it guts out, what mods can I do.

ys preamp mods

Good afternoon from Greece!! I have the same preamplifier , i buy from ebay before 5 or 6 years. I have the the version with ss power supply and 6x4 tube. The machine came with shuguang 12ax7 tubes, with red letters and a JAN sylvania 6x4 tube.The sound it is not bad but i do not like it The first thing in my mind it is the tubes! I tested many tubes like EH,Mullard reissue,NOS Telefunken,and russian 6n2p-ev voskhod, I change the 6x4 tube with a hitachi tube from ebay! The sound improves drammatically but again i dont like it!! I have problem with the bass,to much compression especially in heavy bass program. The best sounding tubes from me,it is russian military tubes,and mullard reissue tubes,big surprise for me! The NOS Telefunken tubes has a very good sound but nothing special to me!!The problem with the compressed bass is the 6X4 tube. In heavy bass sound this tube drops too many volts,about 20-30v which is no good. I do not like this,and pulled out the tube,i jumper the anode and cathode of the base of the tube and the problem solved!! The sound is much better now,better sound stage and no more compressed sound! I like this preamplifier very much,no problems at all,i like the sound from the russian 6n2p-ev tubes it is clear and natural,more live with a huge stereo image. These tubes is very strong,and beefy,no problems at all after 5 years of hard use,no degradation in sound,no problem at all! If anyone like to use these russian tubes must change the filament wiring it is different,google it to find it, i don not remember now,no other changes,the hardware quality,is very good from me,no failures at all! It is a very good preamplifier,very good price.and excellent sound with simple circuit and easy mods!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.