Hickok 752A calibration? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th December 2011, 04:57 AM   #1
dgta is offline dgta  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Hickok 752A calibration?

Does anyone have a calibration writeup for this tube tester? I do have the manual but it has nothing about calibration. A web search yielded nothing. Was there a separate service manual with this info? Thanks.
Old 25th December 2011, 06:38 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

To my knowledge there is no written calibration procedure by Hickok for the 752A. Calibration was set during manufacture by the use of mostly fixed resistors just like the 539 series. A "standard test tube", usually a 6L6, is used to verify accuracy.

However, a fellow named Daniel Schoo has written articals about calibrating Hickok tube testers. You can find them on line by searching his name. A good write-up was made available through Audioxpress on their website as a free download. It was for the 539C, but the basic principals can be applied to yours.

Also see:
http://bellsouthpwp.net/p/a/padgett46/cal539c.htm

http://books.google.com/books?id=FaF...0schoo&f=false

http://www.desmith.net/NMdS/Electron...ion%20V4.1.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hickok 539C Calibration V4.0.pdf (73.9 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by HollowState; 25th December 2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 26th December 2011, 03:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Hollow. Good reading.

It looks like Daniel Schoo wrote an article in Audio Xpress about calibration of Hickok testers, somewhere around July-August 2007. Can't find it for download on their website. Does anyone have a copy or link to it?

EDIT: The article IS listed (8/07) but won't download. Anybody have a copy?

http://www.audioamateur.com/ax-supplemental.html

Last edited by dgta; 26th December 2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old 26th December 2011, 04:25 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The PDF attachment that I posted was from AudioXpress.
Untitled Document Scroll down to 8/07 area
Old 26th December 2011, 05:39 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

There is a calibration manual offered at ePay: HICKOK 752 752A TUBE TESTER CALIBRATION MANUAL. VERY RARE! FIRST TIME AVAILABLE! | eBay .
Old 26th December 2011, 10:19 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks Hollow, I didn't realize your pdf was the actual article. I did scroll down to it on their site but it wouldn't download. Just took me to a useless page when I clicked on it.

Joshua, did you actually get that manual? Looks suspicious. Hard to believe he's the only person in the world with a copy of the manual and then he "re-typed it" ???? Why? Why not just sell copies of the real thing? Sounds fake.
Old 26th December 2011, 11:39 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgta View Post
Hard to believe he's the only person in the world with a copy of the manual and then he "re-typed it" ???? Why? Why not just sell copies of the real thing? Sounds fake.
It may be a legal thing. If it's a Government document perhaps reproducing it directly may not be a good idea, even if they don't really care. I've never heard of it until now. But I don't need it either. The Schoo artical is enough. And yes, the AudioXpress website isn't working right now. The PDF I posted I had saved in "my documents" some time ago.
Old 27th December 2011, 02:50 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I can buy the legal theory, not sure I'm ready to buy the idea that he's the only one in the world with a 752 calibration manual. I'd want to see proof that there actually is such thing as a calibration manual from Hickok, not something written by someone else.

And yes, with Schoo's article and a little tracing through the schematic I think we have enough to make sense of it. Thanks. But I wouldn't mind paying for a factory manual if I knew it was genuine.
Old 27th December 2011, 03:12 AM   #9
GloBug is offline GloBug  Canada
Banned

That eBayer has sold a few copies with good feedback. Might be worth a shot.
For $30, I can see why your hesitant.
Old 27th December 2011, 10:33 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

New member to DIY, and thought I might comment about the post. I personally know that Hickok did make certain manuals for the 752/752A that contained the above mentioned calibration/troubleshooting info. Since the 752/752A was used by the FAA, Hickok did supply the Feds with the info. I would also agree with HollowState about copying Government documents and offering them for sale. As far as the only one in the world with a copy, not likely!

Hide this!Advertise here!