• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

replace EL34 with EL37 !?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You may need to reduce the plate voltage significantly, and the grid bias voltage probably needs to be increased into 6L6 territory, -40V or more.

The Mullard EL37 is reputed to be an excellent performer, and I can understand your curiosity, just make sure that you are operating them inside of acceptable plate dissipation, voltage and current values. Since they are yours obviously you can do anything you want with them, and were I you I would try them and if I liked the results would use them. Museum pieces are fine, but...

ok, swap the 15k and 10 resistor in bias

change B+ supply to full wave bridge type

Bias at approx -15V @ 275 V B+
-13.5@ 250 VB+

depends where the B+ lies when you change the power.

Attachments

• hf89wEL37.jpg
    hf89wEL37.jpg
    851.2 KB · Views: 859
Last edited:
Does EL34 really same as 6L6 in plate supply and the grids cause, i am still thinking to change El34 into 6L6> In case i had read the data sheet from the wed and i saw the class a voltage supply is really the same but the output power is little bit different> Could any one taught me < Thanks A Lot~

While the bias supply can be modified to operate EL37s within their rated dissipation, the one thing that has not been mentioned is that the plate-to-plate load offered by the HF-89 OPTs is not very friendly to UL operation of 6L6 class tubes. While EL37s in an HF-87 modified for fixed bias would indeed return superb performance, the same would not be true for their use in the HF-89 due to the lower impedance the OPTs offer in that amplifier.

If you are determined to use these tubes in your HF-89, then along with the bias considerations to be taken, the best performance will be obtained by also converting the unit to straight pentode operation, with the screens running at virtually the same voltage as the plates -- or better -- at a regulated voltage that is equivalent to what the plate B+ supply drops to under full power conditions in both channels. That will reduce the loading requirements of the tubes, so that they will match the load that the 89 transformers offer, and if the screens are regulated, offer the lowest possible distortion levels with this tube/transformer combination. If the change to pentode operation is done, the original power output rating will be maintained, but distortion and damping will suffer over that of the original design. If left in UL mode, power and distortion will suffer, although good damping will still be available.

It is common to see folks routinely swap out the EL34s in a Dynaco ST-70 for 6L6 class tubes -- but the same problem exists in that scenario as well. While 6L6 class tubes can be made to bias up properly in that amplifier (as well as in the HF-89), and the amplifier will indeed "work" -- and may even produce a sound you enjoy, but there is little doubt that on the bench, both amplifiers will deliver notably inferior performance with such a conversion.

I am hardly saying not to try it. But I am telling you what the typical performance results of such a modification will be. Good luck with it!

Dave

From a biasing standpoint, it would be rather easy to modify the amplifier to accept EL37 tubes:

1. Reduce the 10K dropping resistor in the bias filter network to 4.7K.

2. Adjust the quiescent current to 100 ma total for both tubes, by setting the voltage at the TP to 1.00 vdc.

That is it. The pin outs between the two tubes won't require any rewiring of the sockets, so other than the bias resistor change and readjusting the bias controls, that's about it. Listen to it, and let us know what you think!

Dave

Sorry, dcgillespie, but for me the EL37 data look to be much more closer to those of the EL34 than to those of the 6L6 family. Maybe that for the intended amplifier EL37 could indeed be a 1:1 replacement for EL34's?

On the other hand I have a suggestion for a helpful modification: Putting a 10R resistor in each cathode lead instead of one for both helps biasing both tubes more properly.

Best regards!

Last edited:
Kay -- From the data you supplied, the EL37 does look to be closer to an EL34 than that of the 6L6 family. However, my point is more directed at the peak current draw ability between a 37 and 34 when operated in UL mode with 43% taps, which is the scenario at hand. In this regard, an EL37 is much closer to the capabilities of a 6L6GC than an EL34. Indeed, while the EL37 is capable of slightly more power output than a 6L6GC is in this setting, in the real world, the actual performance differences between the two tubes are very small, with both producing significantly less power output than an EL34 will in the same UL setting.

Best regards as well!

Dave

Dave

The modification is done! Now I listen my amplifier with the EL37! :) at the first track I slightly notice a VERY little distortion in the high frequency, very present and solid bass and the mid seem to be good. I will listen this amp tonight with a good scotch and tell you more after that.

Tanks for all

William

Attachments

• DSC_4750.jpg
    DSC_4750.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 349
  • DSC_4745.jpg
    DSC_4745.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 339
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.